Chapter 8

I stumbled over; the icy water splashed all around me, twisting my ankle into an unnatural position in the process. I yelped, and my hands flew forward so I'd be able to prevent the unfortunate outcome of my head hitting the metallic, wet floor. However, my weak movements weren't able to save me, as I felt the great force of the outcome I wanted to prevent, with an unpleasant, earsplitting, screeching sound following not far behind.

The disgusting sound of a plate being scraped by a fork continued as I forced myself off the ground and stood up. Underneath me, a metallic chunk of the floor started to move; it resembled the tectonic plates of the earth, although this seemed mechanical, unnatural. My facial expression turned into a grimace as I quickly scooted away.

I stared curiously at the now-new hole on the floor, wondering what was on the other side, weighing the advantages and disadvantages of descending. Tempted to see what was below the walking grounds of the maze, I crept towards it, peering down.

Although that was no help, the only thing I could make out were the metallic sewer-like walls. On the other side, there was a rusty brown ladder that looked incredibly unstable, which presented yet another reason to change my direction to the previous meet-up spot. Ironically, I was the one who suggested not leaving the path and meeting at the end of the tunnel. However, as selfish as that sounds, at that moment I didn't care, the desire to see the undiscovered was too big and too strong.
And so, after taking one long look in the direction of where I was heading in the first place, I turned and grabbed the rusty and rough ladder. And with a tight and strong grip, I slowly descended into the unknown.

Every step I took was careful and hesitant, contemplating whether or not I had made the right choice. My hands, bloody from the rough brown-orange-coloured ladder, were shaking violently. My heartbeat unstable from the panic of the thought that maybe I was wrong, maybe this was wrong. But there was no turning back, and I had to face it head-on.

My feet finally touched the ground, and by that moment, my whole body was trembling violently. I sighed. If I was going to get out of here, I had to be strong. I had to collect myself. So I sturdied myself, fisted my arms, and looked up.