🦴Broken Legs🦴

Denis scanned his surroundings. The vent was no longer an escape option. He needed to find a way to get Elijah out and out of the house.

The man looked around the room as his daughter did the same. They both went to one side of the room to check the boxes still left out. Denis took the opportunity to run back over to the container. He flew up to the lid and widened the hole with the torn.

"Are you sure I'm gonna fit through there?" Elijah asked. Denis nodded and reached his arm as far down as he could so Elijah wouldn't have to strain his leg injuries any further. He grabbed on and Denis started to pull him up. He helped him squeeze through the cut up hole. Elijah quickly held onto Denis as soon as he was out.

Denis scanned the room for another exit. He looked back at the door. It was shut, but there was a slight gap between it and the floor.

He quickly flew down to the ground, hiding behind the desk. He held tightly onto Elijah. "Tell me if he gets closer." He said. Eliah nodded.

Denis quickly bolted for the door. Even though his wings were tired, he pushed through. He just needed to get out of the house, then they would be safe. 

Elijah gasped and pointed behind them. The man had turned around. He asked Martha to grab a container from the desk as he ran at the two.

Denis looked back at the door. He knew he wasn't going to reach it in time. As he felt the man's loud, gigantic footsteps get closer, he threw Elijah towards the door. He tumbled on the floor, landing a few inches from the crack. The man's hand quickly came down on top of Denis.

He was able to see through the small gaps between the man's fingers. Elijah was struggling to get back up as his legs gave out underneath him every time he tried.

The man went to grab him as well. Denis stuck his arm out from the gap. A thorn covered vine sprung up in front of Elijah, another, smooth vine pushed him under the door and out of the room.

The man ended up grabbing the thorns. He yelled in pain and pulled his bleeding hand away. Martha came over with the small plastic container since it didn't have any holes in it. The man quickly and carelessly threw Denis in the container and tossed it onto the desk out of frustration.

He looked over his hand and groaned. "Martha," The man snapped. "Go get the first aid kit." The little girl nodded and ran off. Denis sat up and looked at the door as Martha ran out. He sighed in relief not seeing Elijah anywhere.

-

Elijah stumbled through the grass. He tripped over pebbles and tried to grab onto the blades of grass as he fought against the pain to stay up.

He fell over, grabbing his right leg which hurt the most. He looked through the night sky at the tree in the distance, then back at the house he'd come from. He hadn't made much progress.

He took a few, quick deep breaths before standing again. He just wanted to give up and lay on the ground, hoping something would come along and put him out of his misery. But he'd rather walk on two broken legs than just leave Denis in that house to die.

He'd glanced up at the moon every now and then to know how long he'd been walking for. It felt like days with the amount of pain he was in.

It soon became too much. Elijah felt himself getting dizzy as the pain grew worse. His body was giving up on him. He tried to pick up his pace to at least get closer but everything faded as he collapsed in the dirt.

-

"Ethan! Ethan, get up!" Alex called as he shook Ethan awake. His eyes fluttered open and he sat up. He looked at Alex in confusion.

"What? What happened?" Ethan asked as he rubbed his eyes.

"They found him." Alex said. Ethan's eyes widened. He quickly got out of bed and rushed to get his shoes on before Alex could continue talking.

Alex led him to the hospital on the ground floor. "A guard came to find Sub just a few minutes ago. They told us Elijah was found unconscious in the grass." Alex explained as he brought Ethan inside.

"Is he okay? What happened to him? Where's Denis?" Ethan frantically asked questions. Alex sat him down in a chair in the waiting area. He sighed and held Ethan's hands.

"He was found with a severed wing and his legs were broken. They think he was walking on them, which made it much worse. Sub's in there operating on him right now. They...don't know where Denis is." Ethan's breath picked up. Alex held him back as he tried to stand up again. "Ethan. He's going to be okay. He's in good hands. Please, try to relax."

Ethan sat back in the chair, gripping the arm rests made of twigs. Alex held his hand again. He hugged him and held onto him until his breathing slowed again. 

After a long two hours, Sub walked out from one of the tents. He took a mask off his face and threw it away in an acorn top, along with his gloves. Ethan closed his eyes and gripped Alex's hand tighter as he noticed blood on Sub's clothes and his close to pitch black wings.

He walked over to the two with a frown. He opened his mouth to speak but Ethan cut him off. "Just tell me he's alive. Please..." Ethan quivered as tears fell from his eyes. Sub nodded and Ethan sighed in relief.

"You can see him now if you'd like. He just woke up," Sub mumbled softly. Alex glanced over at Ethan. He seemed to be contemplating whether or not he wanted to go in and face whatever state his brother was in. He eventually stood up and Sub led them over to the tent.

Elijah was laying in the bed with a woven blanket over him. He looked up at them as they walked in. Ethan rushed over and hugged him before Elijah could even register what was going on.

After his brother let go, Elijah looked around the tent. He looked over at Sub. "W-What happened?" He whispered, still dazed.

"You're at the hospital," Sub explained. "A guard found you passed out in the grass early this morning."

"How are my legs?" Elijah asked after moments of silence. Sub inhaled sharply. He clenched his fist and turned away.

"Sub?" Alex reached out to him. He stepped back as tears fell down his face.

Elijah lifted up the blanket and looked towards the foot of the bed. He gasped and quickly covered his mouth.

"I'm so sorry." Sub cried softly, choking on his words. "I tried. I did. I promise." He held onto himself and went to leave, but Alex pulled him back and into a hug.

Elijah stayed silent for a few moments before sitting up slightly and wiping his tears away.

"Denis is still trapped." He said quietly. "Someone needs to go back there and get him out. That man is going to bring Denis into the town, show him off to some guy, and have him framed like those butterflies."

Ethan chimed in, "We should tell the Queen. She can send her guards to–"

"No!" Alex called. "She was planning on punishing anyone that got even remotely close to the house. We could reason with her about Elijah, but Denis willingly went there. She'd have him thrown in jail." The group went silent.

"We have to go there and help him," Ethan finally spoke up. He turned to the other two. "The three of us would be much more helpful than one." Both nodded.

"Elijah, could you help us figure out how to prepare?" Alex asked. Elijah nodded. "Perfect. Meet back here in a little while to discuss a plan." Alex and Sub both left the tent.

Ethan stayed and looked back at his brother. "Are you okay?" He asked. Elijah snapped out of his thoughts and looked up at his brother.

"Y-yeah..." He paused and looked down at his lap. "--no....not really. It's gonna take a long time to get used to, but I'm glad I'm home mostly in one piece." Ethan smiled in an effort to comfort his brother but Elijah noticed his wings darkening as he looked away. Elijah reached out and held his twin's hand.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be okay. I'm safe." He said. "Just promise me Denis will get home safe too. Please." Ethan nodded, squeezed Elijah's hand, and left the tent.