[Dreamcatcher - JiU] Trust Me

[A/N: This one-shot is based on the song Trust Me (괜찮아!) by Dreamcatcher]

I let my head fall back onto the window, the rumble of the subway on the tracks dulling my thoughts. It's a welcome reprise from the events of the day; finally, my mind doesn't feel like it's running a mile a minute.

I wouldn't say the day was horrible; nothing had happened that would class the day as such. Still, as I close my eyes and lean into the white noise, the gnawing, sinking feeling continues to consume me as it has been for the whole day. And yesterday. And the day before that.

I take in deep breaths, trying to soothe myself. With every breath, however, the weight in my chest doesn't budge an inch. The day at the office was as mundane as ever, with nothing but phone calls, Excel sheets, and a couple of meetings. Minji had texted me during my lunch break to see if I wanted to join her for lunch, but by the time I'd read her text it was well past lunch. I've been feeling too burnt out to reply to the loads of texts on my different social media accounts, and I worked through the lunch break with nothing but a black coffee, so I hadn't seen her text until it was too late.

The starts and stops of the subway blur together, and only after the lifeless female voice speaks for a second time do I realise I've reached my stop. My eyelids part to let in a newly-sickening fluorescent white, and I get up from my seat, careful not to let the blood rush out of my head. My footsteps echo in the empty cabin as I exit just before the doors slide closed.

Our apartment complex is another mindless five-minute walk away from the station. The journey passes like clockwork, and before I know it, I'm at the door to our apartment, swiping my copy of the card key to enter.

 The journey passes like clockwork, and before I know it, I'm at the door to our apartment, swiping my copy of the card key to enter

"Oh, you're back," a cheerful yet low voice calls out from the top of the stairs as I close the door behind me. "How was work, baby?" Minji descends a few stairs as I set my shoes aside on the shoe rack.

"Fine," I manage with a sigh. I look up at Minji, who looks back with eyes that could chase the rain clouds away in a hurricane. Eyes that are begging to break through a wall. A wall that remains firm.

As I make my way up the stairs, she takes me by the arm. "Have you eaten? I brought a little food back from the restaurant. Your favourite, egg bread." Her smile beckons warmly.

"It's fine."

"Or we could order pizza instead?" Her sentence is punctuated by an unearthly growl. From me. "Please don't tell me you lasted the day with that one cup of coffee." Her face is a mixture of a disappointed parent and a hurt puppy.

"I'm fine. I'm still alive, right?" The statement comes out dry and humourless.

Minji stops in the kitchen and lets my arm go, only to replace the touch with two hands on both my shoulders. "Okay, what's going on?" Her tone, while still light as ever, has an air of seriousness that I haven't heard in a while. Not since I'd heard her speak to her parents last.