Chapter 14: Lung Cancer

The next day passed ever since I and Lightning talked about my past and how he found out more about Doc's past as well. It felt honestly nice. C/N rested well and she felt much better. I gave her a long talk about how she should keep her life going for her grandfather because I knew by my heart, that is what he wanted for his granddaughter. I miss my grandfather as well, remembering how I didn't get to say goodbye to him but it was hard for me to keep going with life when you lose someone.

C/N was with others outside while I decided to keep myself inside. I began to actually feel weird. As if it was bad. I didn't know what was going on. I was in my 60s (or near) when it started to get a common health problem for people at that age. I'm glad that youngsters get to live a long, life with long good health. I decided to lie on my mattress and think. So many things happened in these few days. Lightning came and was now nice to others, even when he pissed off my boyfriend and disrespected him. He was now trying to win Doc's respect since he found out about his past. Of course, he was a racing legend just like I, and I could see that Lightning won my respect. I sighed as I looked around Doc's garage and read the news articles. The crash truly broke him and changed him. Others told me what he was like when arriving in town and that shocked me. He was very closed off, stern, and even cold but I did notice that upon my arrival, he changed a bit. He was a bit open and now I believe that Lightning can change him. Because of one thing: secrets cannot be kept forever.

I felt something in my lungs towards my throat and I immediately covered my mouth with my hand and coughed. It was luckily small and when it stopped, I did my hand away and felt something. I immediately looked and got shocked. It was... blood. I just coughed blood! Normally, when someone coughs blood, then it's important to seek help fast in order to find out what's going on. I, however, was not in my world and Doc was the only doctor in town. I fear that he was dying soon. What will the town do without Doc? He was the mayor of the town, the doctor, and even the judge.

I looked away from the ground and coughed again. Blood. I then began to feel chest pain but luckily, it was little so it soon stopped. I carefully laid down and breathed. I can't let anyone see me like this, not even Doc and especially not C/N. She was a human as well and knew that coughing blood was a very bad sign of health. What's happening with me? I need this special health book that Doc was keeping in his clinic office. I got up, went to the clinic, and entered. Everyone was busy for the night, I noticed outside that the light was shining beautifully, making me and the town feel alive. I looked outside through the window and saw that C/N was happily dancing with Mater, making me chuckle with happiness but I groaned and winched when chest pain returned, soon stopping again. I found the book and looked through the pages of symptoms of blood coughing and chest pains. I found the page and to my fear, it's lung cancer. I should have known. In my family, we had heart problems or even lung. It got to me and so I knew by my heart that I am having symptoms of lung cancer. It's sad and devastating to hear people and even animals have cancer inside their bodies. But... that's life. Let's hope to find cures for all cancers one day.

I didn't have a phone with me to take a picture so I need to memorize with details. I closed the book and set it back where it was when I heard a familiar deep male voice behind me. "Y/N?"

I quickly turned around to face a concerned Doc. I was about to say something when he noticed the dry blood on my hand. "Is that blood?"

I felt sad and sighed. He caught me and there was nothing to hide it now. I nodded slowly at his question. I watched my boyfriend driving up to me and took a look at me, checking me if there was a wound somewhere but he saw none. I gently placed my hand on his tire, holding our hands together. Doc looked soft and allowed me to hold his tire. "Doc, I'm coughing blood. I have lung cancer." I then explained further how my family had a history of heart and lung problems that it spreads through us. He looked very understanding. He looked soft at me. "Let me help you examine your lungs and see how long you will live."

I nodded and Doc started to prepare to do more examines through me. He then sighed and turned to me. "I called the press and they took Lightning away. I thought it was best for everyone until everyone woke me up. I need to tell them the truth."

I smiled softly at him. I knew it. Lightning finally woke up Doc just like I did but the rookie did more. I told Doc that he needs to help Lightning with his racing career and Doc agreed to help him, on the condition that I'll be walkways by his side, which I agreed to immediately and so our secret deal has been made. Doc started to examine me and did tests on me. It did take a while but he finally got the results. He looked at me. "You have 10 years or more to live."

I sighed in relief but then I saw Doc coughing. I immediately got worried as he looked away to cough. I need to be by his side. I knew that by my gut that wasn't a normal cough. Doc then breathed quickly and I immediately went to him to rub his side to comfort him. He was dying.