Hakki 1: Amatu

DISCLAIMER: this is a work of fiction please!

Chapter One

Ya Feenat sautéed stew meant to accompany a rice recipe. She looks to be annoyed by the stew itself and doesn't much have any love for the cooking.

Ya Yelwa is cutting vegetables and seems to find the task annoying as well. And why not? They have been cooking nonstop since they woke up that day!

The day there will be visitors from the Royal House of Yerogoi is always deeply taxing for all parties involved.

The Royal House comes in numbers, and they stayed the whole day. Usually, they leave by nightfall. They never sleep over.

Today, the visitors are here to see their father, Alhaji Sheriff, who has cancelled all of his appointments today to cater to his elder brother's messengers.

Hajja Meram, their mother, would be too busy entertaining guests to have time to supervise the meals. This falls to her two eldest daughters, Nafisa and Yelwa.

Their elder brother, Taj, usually stays with his father. At this time, their younger brother and sister are away at school.

When Amatu rushed into the kitchen as if she were running for her life, both sisters secretly sighed.

She is busy breathing hard when she stops at the kitchen, trying to gain back her heavy breathing.

"Oh! Don't go and faint just because you want to share gossip!" Ya Feenat mocks.

"This gossip is quite dangerous!" Ya Yelwa slated drily.

Amateur evens her breathing through a force of will and retorts. "You don't know how important the news is. That is why you are blaming me!" She defends with a dramatic flare that could only be deemed strong by a lively soul like Amatu.

Both sisters refuse to take her seriously. But as usual, her dramatics make them both hide a smile. She is the kind of girl who would always provoke an emotion out of you. Whether happy or sad, it will be distinguished by the moment that abounds!

"I just discovered what Bappa has been hiding from us! I know why there are visitors from Yerogoi!" She concludes.

"Just spill the beans and stop dragging the issue!" Ya Feenat exasperated.

"Well, I heard Bappa saying that you are to marry Hardo Galadima tomorrow!" She expressed. And Bappa is what they call their father because everyone else calls him that, in Nigeria.

The spoon Ya feenat is holding fell in a clatter on the wok she is using to saute the stew. Ya Yelwa dropped the knife on her hands and stared at Amatu agape. They are both thoroughly shocked!

Amatu nods her head as if to say,'uhuh!' Cox, she knows exactly how they feel!

The same arrogant bastard who has it out for both her sisters in the last family gathering over at Yerogoi is about to be her husband!

"Don't panic. Don Allah, calm down, Nafisa. I am sure that we can think about this in a rational manner" ya Yelwa states urgently, and it is all because she is not sure what Nafisa will decide to do.

"Let her scream out her lungs mana ya Yelwa! This is tragic news! I felt like someone close to my heart got an accident and broke all the 206 bones in their body, and now the doctors are wondering what the hell they are supposed to do with them!"

Ya yelwa glares at yer for a sec9bd before fixing her eyes on Nafisa. "Don't mind Amatu. She is just exaggerating!" She consoles.

"But Bappa wants the wedding to happen tomorrow before the delegates leave for Yerogoi again!" Amatu drops the second bomb on her sisters, and the invisible shock waves echoes in the expansive kitchen.