Prologue

Nakita

Growing up on the rez is anything but easy. Nakita Hummingbird would know. Her family has lived on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation for generations. She and her older brother have been raised by their grandparents since they were two and five years old. Nakita, being the strong and sometimes too independent seventeen year old young woman she is, often dreams of life off the rez and how different things must be. But being brought up in a traditional Apache home with her aging grandparents, she knows how important family is and how her grandparents need her more now than ever. When Nakita least expects it though, she gets a surprise that might give her the chance she’s been dreaming of for so long. Along the way, she will face many challenges and obstacles, and like many girls her age - boy troubles. Will she learn how to follow her heart or will her responsibilities keep her from leaving the only home she‘s ever known? 

Tecumseh

About 600 miles away from Nakita, lives a seventeen year old boy by the name of Tecumseh Riverwater. He too, lives on a reservation with his family - the Navajo Indian Reservation to be exact. He’s lived on the rez all his life, and to be honest, he’s sick of it. He’s proud of his heritage, but he’s tired of always hearing about the “old ways”. Where he‘s from, Tecumseh is known as a player; and he proudly wears the title with a smug smirk. He’s handsome, and he knows it. He’s a showoff on the football field, the basketball court, the baseball field, the dance arena, and especially on the lacrosse field. But when he gets handpicked to be on a lacrosse team consisting of the best players from states out west, will he be willing to share the spotlight with another skilled athlete…. Even if it’s a girl?