Nakita

Nakita

“So have you called the people yet?,” Jacob asked as we walked down the hallway towards our second period.

“What people?”

“You know. The Western Arrows team people,” he replied.

“No,” I said bluntly.

“And why not?,” he asked confusedly.

“Because I‘m not doing it,” I say with a shrug.

“What do you mean ‘you’re not doing it‘? Of course you are!,” he said as he stopped walking.

“No I‘m not,” I said curtly as I continued to walk.

The next thing I knew I was being snatched to a top.

I turned to glare a Jacob, but instead I’m met with a pair of familiar dark brown eyes glaring back at me. “And why aren‘t you going to do it? You‘ve worked hard, Kita. You put your everything into playing lacrosse, and when you have the opportunity to do something you love more than anything, you won‘t take it. I swear, sometimes I just don‘t get you at all.”

“Because Jacob. I‘m not a little girl anymore and I can‘t pretend like I‘m living a fairy tale where everything is okay. I have responsibilities that are way more important than me playing lacrosse and I can‘t just drop everything,” I reply with a glare of my own.

“What do you have to do Nakita that is so important that you can‘t do this one thing?,” Jacob barked out.

“In case you haven‘t noticed Jacob, my grandparents are young anymore. They‘re both over seventy years old, and they need me. They depend on me to be there, and I can‘t just leave them with nobody to take care of them,” I growl at him, not caring about the curious gazes of those around us.

“Tyee can take care of your grandparents while you‘re gone. He‘s more than capable. And it‘s not like you‘re leaving for good. It‘s only for a few months, and then you‘ll be coming back!”

“My brother works! He can‘t just quit his job to watch them! And since he‘s the only one working in the house, he has to keep his job,” I reply as my glare slightly falters.

“I can do it, Kita….,” Jacob says as his glare falters too.

“I can‘t ask you to do that, Jake. You have a life too, and I can‘t ask you to give that up,” I say as I drop my gaze to the floor.

Jacob put a finger under my chin and made me look back into his now sympathetic brown eyes, and replied, “You‘re not asking me Kita. I‘m offering. And besides, your grandparents love me and Tyee has known me all my life. I‘m sure they wouldn‘t mind. And if it would make you feel any better I could stay in your room while you‘re gone.”

I shook my head, but before I could object, Jacob tightened his grip on my wrist and turned around and started walking. “Come on.”

“Where are we going?,” I asked confused.

“I don‘t know yet. But we‘re going to talk about this and we‘re not going to do it hear with everybody around,” he replied as he motioned to all of the passing students.

“But, I‘ve never skipped before,” I replied as I tried to get out of his steel like grip.

His grip only tightened, and he muttered over his shoulder, “Well, you are today.” With that he continued dragging me down the hallway, and out the front door of the school.

When we got out of the building, I looked around to see if I saw any teachers, but saw none. Knowing there was no way I’d get out of this, I just let Jacob continue to drag me until we were a good distance away from the school.