Twelve

Ann was pacing her room back and forth with her hair clutched inbetween her fingers. Harry was the only friend she had in this town, and she scared him off like she did with every person she ever knew in her life. She was scared - terrified - that she would lose him.

Ann's heart was beating quickly and she felt the tears rise up in her eyes as she sat on her bed. She was in too deep, and she knew that, but what she didn't know was why after everything Marie had put him through, he stayed. Maybe it was love; something she had never felt.

When Ann stood up after a couple minutes, she grabbed her jacket and ran down the stairs and out the door without saying a word to Jewel. The last thing she needed was her mother worrying to death about her. She hurried and slipped her jacket on before putting her hood up and sprinting down the sidewalk. She needed air, space, some room to breathe.

She arrived at the local park and sat down on a soaked bench, her jacket dripping from the rain. Her head was spinning and her heart was beating quickly while her breathing was heavy. She couldn't get herself together, and that was something she was used to since she first moved away at the age of four. Ever since, she had anxiety about new places and people, and she felt like she couldn't contain her emotions until she met Harry, and just the thought of losing him made her want to sink down into a piece of dust and disappear.

When she heard her name being called out, she looked around and squinted her eyes to get a better look at the figure coming towards her. Niall had a huge smile on his face as he walked up to her and he removed one earbud from his ear. "What are you doing out here?" He asked as he stood in front of her. "It's pouring."

Ann shrugged and looked down at her thighs. "Just thinking is all."

Niall sat down next to her and took her hand in his, his hand warm but wet from the rain. She felt something between them, something she couldn't explain, but when she was with Harry, she could explain every emotion in her body. Happiness. Joy. Excitement. With Niall, it was as if it were the same feelings, but not as intense.

"You don't have to sit here with me," Ann said while looking away from him. "I know you probably have better things to do."

Niall shook his head and grinned. "I'd rather sit here with you."

She looked at Niall then, but all she could see was Harry's face as he yelled at her and stormed out. She looked away before she could burst into tears and Niall grabbed her chin, turning her face towards him. "Hey, you know you can tell me if you're upset, right?"

Ann nodded and tore her gaze away from his face. "Of course," she lied.

The rain had died down some, but the wind was still furious and Ann felt fear build up inside of her body. Niall wrapped his arm around her shoulder and held her close, his lips kissing the top of her head lightly. "You're freezing. Let's get you home."

He stood up and held out his hand, which she took before he led her down the sidewalk. He let Ann listen to his music, and she laughed at some of his choices of songs. It was the first she had smiled since the fight with Harry.

When Niall had made her laugh, she would see that he would look down at her admiringly and grin like an idiot, but Ann would pretend as if she didn't notice and would continue chatting to get her mind off of a certain curly haired boy.

They arrived at her house and Ann looked up at Harry's window to see that his curtains were closed. There were so many questions running through her mind; was he just as upset as she was? Did he think about her as much as she thought about him? Did he even care?

"I hope you feel better, love." Niall stated before kissing her cheek lightly. Ann felt her cheeks flare up and she quickly made her way inside, Jewel instantly greeting her.

Jewel had many questions; where were you? Who were you with? Why? Ann just ignored her and went to her room. The last thing she needed was her mother confronting her while she was in a gloomy mood.

She sat at her desk and looked out the window at Harry's dark curtains, a sigh escaping her mouth. Maybe he wasn't home. Maybe he was out with friends. Maybe even Marie. Ann cringed at the thought of it. Maybe he was actually avoiding her just as she was avoiding him. Her mind was racing with thoughts and all she wanted to do was lie on the driveway with him and talk about the future and the universe. She didn't want to believe that their friendship was over. She couldn't believe that their friendship was over. Maybe she was overreacting, but the hurt that she saw in Harry's eyes said differently.

When Harry's curtains suddenly opened, her heart had stopped beating and she stared at him. He didn't have a shirt on and his hair was all messed up. She looked into his eyes and he turned around, his voice raising at someone that was behind him. When Marie came into view, Ann felt anger boil up inside of her and she quickly closed her curtains and walked away.

Harry was in too deep, and there wasn't any way Ann could change that.