Twenty

The month of March meant that it was starting to warm up, and that meant no more wearing huge jackets with hoodies that would engulf your whole head. For Ann, it was torture. She liked to sit outside on the cold concrete and stare out at the stars while the freezing whisks of wind chilled her numbing skin. She liked to lie beside her curly headed neighbor who kept her warm inside even while it was below freezing in the world around them. But, in their little bubble, it was as if it was Summer.

Ann's foot kicked a spare pebble on her driveway, causing it to fly to the house's yard across the street. Her whole room had been packed now, aside from a few clothes, and she had to hang her head every time she walked into the room that Harry himself had picked out just for her. She never wanted to leave so soon; never wanted to leave at all.

"Nice shot," Harry stated as he strides towards Ann, his eyes even brighter as usual as he saw the girl standing in front of him.

If she would have seen him earlier, she would have ran. But she didn't, and now she would have to say goodbye.

"Thanks," she grinned, or at least tried to.

And then at the same time they both said:

"I'm sorry."

"I need to tell you something."

They both laughed, and Ann looked up at his emerald eyes and hopeful face. "What are you sorry about?" She asked.

Harry shrugged, his breath shaking a bit. "I should have told you sooner." He shook his head and stuffed his hands inside the pocket of his hoodie while he shivered from the sudden gust of wind. "I thought I wasn't ready, because of everything that happened with Marie, but if you are, then I am as well."

Ann felt her breath hitch in her throat, and she looked at the boy who had stolen her heart over the past few months. "Harry-"

"Just hear me out, please," he pleaded. "I know I was a dick. I know I rejected your feelings. I know, Ann." He grabbed her hands, and in that moment is when she exploded in tears, her words coming out as sobs.

"Why cou-couldn't you have done this s-sooner?"

"I'm sorry, Ann," He squeezed her hands before reaching up and stroking her cheek lightly. "I was stupid, Ann. So stupid. I'm so sorry."

She shook her head before looking up to meet his hopeful gaze. "I'm moving," she said barely above a whisper. "The end of this month."

She removed his hands from his, and she swore that she saw the hope in his eyes disappear all together. "What?" He whispered. "Why didn't you tell me sooner? I could have told you something sooner. I could have confessed. I could have-"

"Don't blame this on me, Harry." She took a deep breath while running her fingers messily through her hair. "I tried to tell you sooner," her voice grew more quiet. "Over the phone the other day. I tried, I really did."

He nodded as she began to sob, and his arms wrapped around her body as he held her against his chest. His large hand glided over her hair softly as he whispered 'shhh' quietly in her ear. "You just got here."

"I know." Her voice was hoarse and she looked up at his now dull eyes, her heart dropping at the sight. "I'm sorry."

He shook his head and held her tighter, his lips grazing the top of her head lightly. "Don't apologize for something you can't control."

"Heard you're moving," Marie said as she appeared next to Ann in the hallway.

Ann rolled her eyes and clutched the strap of her backpack tighter than before. "Yep."

"Maybe moving will teach you a lesson. Maybe now you'll stay away from Harry." A smirk took place on her lips and Ann felt anger boil up from the tip of her toes to her head. "Maybe now-"

"You know what," Ann stopped in front of Marie and narrowed her eyes. "I'm moving soon so I can yell at you all I want." Marie rose an eyebrow, challenging her. "Harry confessed his feelings for me. He told me that he didn't want me to leave. You treated him like he was absolutely nothing, and I gave him everything that you didn't! So you know what, Marie," she crossed her arms over her chest and looked into Marie's ice eyes. "Maybe me moving will teach you a lesson."

Ann breezed past Marie after so she couldn't see her reaction and smirked to herself.

"Nice," Mickayla said as she appeared next to Ann, her arm draping around her shoulder. "I've been wanting to do that ever since I met her."