53 - Injuries

Chongyun knows that he and Xingqiu can hold themselves well in a fight, and even more so that Xingqiu could even beat him in some aspects of a duel.

But when he and Xingqiu are fighting off a couple of monsters that they'd encountered on a walk through Guili Plains, and he hears a noticeably loud thud behind him and the clank of a sword, he knew it wasn't just another monster they defeated.

"Xingqiu?" He calls over his shoulder before successfully clearing the few hilichurls attempting to harm him.

He looks over at him, and to say that he looked worse for wear was an understatement.

Xingqiu was down with his sword at his side, his clothes more ruffed up than usual, and multiple little wounds scattered over his exposed body that were bleeding.

His features seemed to relax when Chongyun leaned over him and blocked the sun from his eyes, but he was undoubtedly in pain.

"Xingqiu? How did this happen? How badly are you hurt?" Chongyun asks him worriedly. He himself didn't have any sort of healing powers, so he only grew more worried that he wouldn't be okay.

"N-not too badly...these wounds of mine aren't helping though..." Xingqiu laughs weakly.

"Don't lie to me. You're always fine after a minor fight like this, what's going on?" Chongyun asks more adamantly.

Xingqiu sighs, and avoids looking up into his eyes directly. Struggling, he sits up and pulls one of his boots down, revealing a certainly red and sore spot that he was visibly pained by.

"I injured myself earlier this week while out and about, and it hasn't been able to heal yet because I've had to keep running around with all manner of matters. I didn't think we'd run into anything particularly troubling today, so I-"

"So you went anyways and hurt yourself more?" Chongyun asks him, and Xingqiu feels all the more guilty when he hears Chongyun's voice crack. "Just for me?"

He opens his mouth to defend himself, but he quickly decides against it, as it's exactly what it sounds like. "Yes, I did."

Chongyun pulls him up and brings him into a tight hug, and Xingqiu feels his stomach plummet once he starts to feel his shoulder rise and fall as he starts to cry.

"You don't have to do this for me. I don't want you to get hurt just trying to make me happy." He says pulling away but still keeping his arms around wrapped tightly around him. "I should have tried to protect you more, or-"

Xingqiu quickly brings Chongyun into a kiss, wiping the corners of his eyes to rid of his tears. "No. Don't blame yourself, this was my fault. I should have stayed back, or at least told you about this. This is by no means your fault Chongyun."

He pulls their faces apart for a while and waits for Chongyun to compose himself. "Okay, but I'm taking you home to rest and heal your injuries. I at least want to take care of you."

Before Xingqiu can even begin to object, Chongyun picks him up along with his sword, being careful to make sure his leg is alright.

"It's a long walk back to the harbor, are you going to be ok-"

Chongyun interrupts him with a kiss on the cheek before setting off with Xingqiu held against his chest in his arms. "I'll be fine, don't worry about me. Just get some rest and relax for now."

Xingqiu decides that he's caused enough trouble for one day, and so he obliges, and Chongyun carries him while he's cuddled against his chest.

-

"Woah! What happened to Xingqiu?" Xiangling asks loudly when Chongyun makes it to the city.

"Oh, we ran into some monsters and he got hurt. I'm bringing him back to my place to rest for a bit, but he'll be alright. Don't worry."

Xiangling laughs. "How could I worry when I know that Xingqiu's boyfriend is going to take care of him?"

"H-hey! Not so loud!" Chongyun says, his face getting red. They weren't public about their relationship, and he knew he was already pushing it by carrying him like this.

Xiangling just laughs again at his persistent embarrassment before she turns to go back to Wanmin restaurant. "I'll make him something to eat later when he wakes up, so let me know when he does!"

"Will do!" He shouts back before he notices Xingqiu stirring in his sleep.

"Shhh, sorry Xingqiu. Go back to sleep." He whispers before heading back to his house.

Even though Chongyun doesn't see it, Xingqiu smiles and gladly relaxes at his touch and his soothing words, being pulled back to sleep by the steady rocking back and forth.

-

Once Chongyun gets back to his house, he lays Xingqiu down on his bed before going to get something to clean his injuries with.

When he gets back, Xingqiu's awake and leaning against the wall on his bed. "Do you feel any better?" Chongyun asks him, kneeling beside the bed.

"A little yes." Xingqiu replies before he sighs and looks away from his concerned eyes. "I'm sorry I put you through this, I really didn't think it would be this bad." He says, looking down at his leg.

"It's okay, I don't mind taking care of you. Just make sure to tell me next time." Chongyun reassures him.

"Oooh? Yun likes playing the doctor? I guess that makes me your patient then." Xingqiu smiles, and Chongyun knows that he's feeling a lot better now.

"Well, patients are supposed to take care of themselves so they don't have to come see the doctor." Chongyun points out, struggling to suppress a smile.

"But what if I like my doctor? I think he's cute." Xingqiu giggles with his head in his hands.

"Then maybe you can ask the doctor out on a date after you've recovered and after he's done taking care of you." Chongyun says, this time his smile evident.

"I think I might have to do just that. Thanks for the advice, doctor."

"Anytime, Xingqiu."

**********************************************

I was like 🤏 close to finishing the Lantern Rite event last night 😭. I finished the first part through the epilogue but my head hurt so I didn't have time to finish the other story part thingys and get a character 🥲. I guess there's always next year tho, so 👍

Also, all the little interactions were so cute! 😭 Everyone asking Xingqiu how he knew Venti and him trying to lie his way out of it, then Chongyun covering for him with another lie he told him earlier-

It was all so cute and I can't wait to see what other events we get this year :)

Written: February 5th, 2023

Finished/Published: February 6th, 2023

(Word Count: 1,132)