30. Sympathy

"Love is complicated. But you have to let go."

George can't stop thinking about him and Wilbur's conversation. He hasn't been to work for over a week. He's claimed to be sick, even though his sickness is caused by worrying.

If he's even classified as sick.

After him and Wilbur talked, he thankfully showed sympathy towards him. George is grateful he understands.

He hasn't answered any of Dream's texts.

Dream has been texting him a lot. He's been calling as well. It's like he's got a routine by now. Ten calls a day, ten texts a day.

It's obsessive, really, and embarrassing, because George hasn't responded to any of them. He wants to get over Dream and fall for someone that isn't a serial killer.

That's life, isn't it? Brutal. Especially for George. He gets himself in deep shit that he doesn't even intend for himself to get into.

He understands. He now knows what it feels like. To love. It's so beautiful yet so painful.

"I can't let go.. that easily. It's not that easy, Wilbur."

At times, he feels his insides curl up whenever he remembers. Wanting to peel off his own skin and smash his brain across the room.

But he keeps a wide smile on his face and keeps going. Life is a game. And if he's not playing, chances are he's the one getting played.

He walks briskly in the forest, listening to the leaves rustle under him with each step he takes. He's taken a liking to going on walks lately. He's finally starting to accept that he needs to let his mind think. Come to conclusions.

It's noon and the light outside is dim. It smells like a tropical rain forest, just like in the rose cafe. The breeze feels so fresh when it washes over him. His hair flows softly in the wind as he sighs contently.

He isn't sure what he wants. Does he want to lock up both Dream and Punz? Become miserable? Or does he want to not lock up Punz, so that Dream doesn't get in any trouble? That'd be bad, though.

He groans to himself, kicking some of the orange leaves on the muddy ground. He can't even go to the bar. He wouldn't wanna risk Dream being there.

He buries his chin in his jacket, teeth chattering. He shivers, feeling the cold all the way to his feet.

The route he's gone isn't far, so he heads home and buries himself in his covers. He decides to watch a movie. It's like a self-care thing. At least that's what he tells himself it is.

He feels like a teenager again. Skipping class to do dumb shit, which in this case, is watch a movie and skip work. He scrolls and scrolls on Netflix, and it seems as if he's in a constant loop. His Macbook shines brightly in comparison to his dark surroundings.

Wilbur hugs George. George buries his face into his shoulder. "You can try interrogate Punz one more time. After that, we send both Punz and Dream to jail. Okay?" He states, the words low in his throat.

"I.. don't want to," George says in a small voice. He wants to be annoyed at Wilbur, given his opinion, but it's hard to get annoyed at the innocence hugging his tongue.

George settles on a movie he isn't familiar with. It's late when he finally finishes it. He heads to the bathroom, brushing his teeth and rubbing water in his face. His eyes are like a leaky faucet, threatening to spill.