First Do No Harm

"Uhm, and where are we going?" Hanji asked when they left the changing room in quite the hurry. Connie, who was peaking around the next corner, waved them forward from the other end of the deserted corridor. "We have to get word to Armin and Mikasa."

"... our hiding place outside the city?" Jean guessed, his long face flushed and troubled when he looked at Levi for guidance. Yeah, horseface was reading the mood correctly, Levi hadn't particularly appreciated the interruption just now. Though he should probably be grateful, considering where it had been going in his head. Just kissing? My ass. His loins throbbed with frustration.

"I need to sort out things with the Bookmaker first," Levi turned in the other direction, towards the tumultuous ruckus in the main hall. It sounded like the hooting crowd was putting up quite the resistance. What was different tonight?

Everybody stopped in their tracks to stare at him, which made him stop too, just as the lights decided to flicker dramatically. Hanji shook her head, making her weird hairdo jiggle weirdly. "Is this about money?"

Huh? Had she become daft since they had left their island? Of course it was about money, did she think he was just itching to beat lousy fighters' asses? There was no human living in this town who was a challenge to him. Screw this, he had even caught himself thinking he missed a little Titan action!

"Mr. Smith is a crafty trader," Levi explained slowly for everyone who needed to hear it, "he'd do anything for money."

"Yes, but shouldn't you be more careful, I'm sure that Bindella...?" The towering horseface began, then abruptly stopped and cowered when he caught Levi glaring at him.

"I give a rat's ass about Bindella," Levi was fast losing the meager amount of patience he had left. "You go wherever you think you want to run away to and let me finish what I came here for."

What was the fuss anyway? That the authorities had decided to conduct a raid was the opposite of a surprise, the police here in Liberio were just as corrupt as the military police back home and if there was money to be siphoned off somewhere, they were sure to turn up en masse.

"What did you come here for?" Hanji asked. "I thought it was about Eren."

Eren? Fuck that brat.

"Eren won't hide forever," Levi tried to assuage everyone. "We'll flush him out in no time. Trust me."

Yes, he had come because of Eren and yes his absence was something to worry about. But he had also come because he planned to walk away with a large sum of money. Levi didn't know for certain how much was needed to live a quiet, decent life but Kiyomi Azumabito's head accountant had not only taught him how to keep immaculate books, he had also imparted knowledge about how to draw up budgets, how not to overspend without being chintzy, and how to invest money so that it would generate even more money. He might never quite get over his distrust of those mechanisms (and the image of coins mating to beget baby coins), but undeniably he had made a lot of money in the past months that way. All he needed was tonight's cut of the winnings and they would be set for life.

"I'll come with you," when Hanji came in his direction, everyone moved with her like a flock of geese. "As will the others."

"Er, no?" Levi took a step backwards but it was useless. She had that look in her eye.

"We all move together," leaving no doubt she was speaking as his Commander who accepted no backtalk. "Or we won't move at all."

Hell.

This was the gist of all his problems: That Hanji was his Commander. That he had somehow turned into a model soldier under Erwin's ruthless drill, without being issued an off-button. For a model soldier, not obeying his Commander was out of the question, whatever situation they were in.