Ch. 6

█████████████

𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐌𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐚𝐧𝐢⁶

█████████████

The Dragon Sword that uncle showed me was not the same Dragon Sword I know.

It was nothing but a mere shell of a dragon sword's power.

In fact, from the beginning, I already knew why the Dragon Sword was treated like this insignificant training sword. The Dragon Sword lacked the will of a true dragon.

Maybe it was natural. This is a different time, after all. This was no longer the era when knights trained to develop their mana hearts. No, this was the era of the rings.

Damn mana chain.

To see others lose interest in mana heart is one thing, but to see the descendants of Leonberger abandon their faith in the mana heart over the mana chain is another story altogether.

But I guess the descendants of my friend is not the same as my friend. They inherited only his blood and kingdom, not his ability to discern the true worth of treasures. They chose differently, and this choice led to this moment where a fake dragon sword stood in front of me, wielded confidently by a man who knows nothing about the truth.

I inhaled and exhaled deeply to try and cool my head. But no matter what I do, there was no quelling the fire that burned in my heart. The man-made mana heart in me has been troubled after seeing its half-the dragon sword.

'It's fake. It's not your half.' I told my heart. I felt it sink as if it understood what I just said.

"... there is nothing more suitable for you who does not even know how to hold a sword."

It was only after he finished his sentence that I realized he had been giving me instructions while I was lost in my thoughts, trying to calm the heart that raged with fury inside of me.

"I don't intend to pass on the family's swordsmanship to you. If you want to learn, you need to find yourself your own teacher."

He uttered more verses and phrases, but what struck me is that he said it was impossible to win a bet with a dragon sword alone.

"So-"

"I don't need it all," I said, cutting uncle's words. This took uncle by surprise.

"I will not learn other swordsmanship," I declared, "it is enough to win with this sword."

Uncle clearly had a lot to say. But, as always, he stepped back and simply looked at me disappointingly.

"Do what you want," he said, resignation and apathy swirling thickly in his voice. "We'll keep doing basic strength training like before, and after that, we'll work on the sword."

Uncle adjusted my training schedule as if nothing happened.

A wooden sword practice was added to the list of my monotonous yet laborious physical routine. And from that day on, I began to learn with the fake dragon sword that was weakened and reduced to this insignificant form.