We're Waiting As The World Starts To Burn (chaennie)

It was never my idea to lay on top of the old country hill we used to go to two years ago in the middle of this chilly night. I just found myself driving to the place after Chaeyoung texted me about the anticipated meteor shower she's seen in the news. She has always wanted to watch one, and the best place to be in, according to her, is on top of this hill with all these bristly grasses that give familiar itchiness to my skin.

I scratch my ankle yet again and gave my companion a glance. We were sitting next to each other, waiting for whatever that's gonna fall from the heavens as broadcasted by the news. It's been an hour but we haven't seen a single meteoroid enter the atmosphere. I am already a scratching mess because of the grasses, but Chaeyoung was waiting as calmly as she's always been.

"Did they say the exact time of the meteor shower?", I asked her.

She just gave me a soft nod, never tearing her eyes away from the distant horizon, "It's gonna come soon. Thirty more minutes."

"Are you sure it's tonight?", I asked her again.

"I'm positive. 9th of January."

"Which year?"

She looked over her shoulder and tosses me a playful glare, which I reverted with a soft laugh.

"Let's just wait. It's gonna come soon", Chaeyoung said before turning her head back up at the sky.

I just nodded my head although she can't see it, and we sat there in silence. The sound of the calmness engulfed us, accompanied by the soft hums of crickets. It reminded me why this spot was our absolute favorite. It was total peace here.

It was after about five minutes that I felt bored just looking up. Between the two of us, I was always the impatient one. Always wanting to rush things. And Chaeyoung was always the ever composed kid with an admirable personality.

I leaned back a little and prop my elbows against the soil as I avert my gaze on the girl. It's more entertaining watching her. With her long blonde hair cascading down her back. I can see from this angle how defined her jawline is. Her finely chiseled nose. Those soft plump lips that I used to kiss.

I felt a throb in my chest, and I was reminded that it was never my idea to sit on top of this hill and wait for the meteor shower with my ex-girlfriend.

What a shock, right?

"Why did you call me here, Chaeng?", I asked, breaking the silence.

People might find it weird how some ex-lovers still contact each other. How some of them remained friends after the break up. I thought so, too. I used to be against the idea. Because, just how can you be friends with someone you used to pour all your heart into? How can you look her in the eye and not want to kiss her stupid face and just melt back in her arms?

I thought it was a morbid idea. Excruciating. But when Chaeyoung said she still wants to be friends with me even after the break up, declining was an option I easily threw away. I could never say no to her. She's got that hold on me that I couldn't break free from.

I wouldn't. I couldn't.

"You know that belief that when you wish upon a shooting star, your wish will come true?", she answered me with another question without looking back at me.

"Chaeng, those are just comet dusts. They can't fulfill wishes. That's not how physics works."

I can't believe she called me here just because she wants to make a wish upon a shooting star that's not even a star. Chaeyoung's way of thinking still surprises me sometimes, honestly.

"We'll never know until we try", she calmly insisted.

I let out a breath before letting my body fall on the dewy grasses underneath me, gazing up at the stars, I ask her again, "What're you gonna wish for, then?"