This Time, I'll Definitely Protect my Wife and Daughter!

Title: This Time, I’ll Definitely Protect my Wife and Daughter!

Original: 今度こそ、妻と娘を守る!

Author: yui/サウスのサウス

Link: https://ncode.syosetu.com/n9204ef/

Summary:

I had lost everything. My life had been a series of tragedies since my wife was killed: I couldn’t properly face my daughter and I eventually ended up framed by another aristocrat. Right before my execution, I managed to help my daughter escape, and thought at least I’d accomplished that much.

Then, I regained consciousness. I had traveled back in time.

“This is…” I’d checked both the calendar and surrounding scenery multiple times before walking over to the mirror. My appearance greatly surprised me.

“I’m sure I was executed…what happened?” Yes, I’d been executed. The reason was that my daughter had committed crimes against the woman her fiancé – His Highness, the Crown Prince – was cheating on her with, while I had mismanaged my fief’s funds and stolen from the kingdom.

These charges were false, but by the time I’d realized what had happened, it was too late. I’d at least helped my daughter escape before I climbed the steps to the gallows.

Everything had been orchestrated by those who were hostile against our ducal house. I completely fell into their trap. I’d died after becoming too complacent. Even my daughter who had escaped could only resent them without recourse for her entire life.

However, when I’d regained consciousness, I found myself in a young man’s body. I was in a room that was both very familiar and should no longer exist: my childhood bedroom. The date on the calendar told me I had gone back twenty years in time.

…I was now ten years old.

I couldn’t understand what was happening. I was stunned. Then, someone knocked on the door before entering. It was a nostalgic person, our butler from when father had run the house. “Good morning young master.”

“Jiiya… Is that you?” [1]

“Yes, it’s jiiya. Is something the matter?”

“…I had a strange dream. Just how old am I now?”

“That’s certainly an odd question. Young master turned ten this year.”

“Ah… I’m sorry, I guess I was still sleepy.” I shook my head to demonstrate to him that nothing was amiss.

Somehow, I had apparently gone back in time. Or, did I just have a premonition of the future? No, even though it seemed unbelievable, I had gone back to the past. My memories of adulthood were too clear for any other explanation.

However, this time…maybe I can save them.

My dear wife and daughter.

I had been married twice.

The first time was to my beloved fiancée. I’d adored her and she felt the same for me. However, one day, on her way home from a tea party, her carriage was attacked by thieves and she was killed.

Though they were soon caught and executed, it didn’t shake me out of my depressive episode, which lasted quite a while.

At the time, our daughter had been four or five years old. I’d wanted someone else to guide her in her mother’s place and stupidly welcomed another woman into our house as my wife.

This was where my mistakes began.

I had no idea at the time, but my new wife began abusing my daughter in the name of education. I didn’t notice because I’d put some distance between her and I. When I saw my daughter, who looked more and more like her mother each day… I couldn’t help but be reminded of my beloved dead wife.