A Broken Engagement,A Wake Up Call.

[Started on this short story months ago and never finished. Had a desire to go back and finish it. Special thanks to くれぴい & 緑葉 for keeping me company through this ordeal!]

(。•ㅅ•。)

(。•ㅅ•。)

"Shiris. Allow me break our engagement."

In front of me stood my fiancé, Christiansen val Fay Asfaria.
The First Prince of the Kingdom of Asfaria, and therefore the first candidate for the throne.
Shiny blond hair and green eyes. So handsome that if ten girls were present, all ten alike would blush and stare in fascination.
Long ago, he was praised as a genius by scholars all over the kingdom, and sung for his bravery by the generals.
An authoritative man naturally overflowing with dignity. An excellent individual who personified the Prince Charming.

"I found someone else I truly love.
I am sorry, but I cannot marry you..."

Next to Prince Christiansen stood the Fair Maiden with her fluffy, golden hair.
With her hands joined together in front of her chest, she looked fragile as she stood nestled against him.

"Please forgive me, Lady Shiris.
Even knowing you were his fiancée, and that I would get in your way, I could not hold back my feelings for Prince Chris. I love him with all my heart."

"Anna."

"Prince Chris..."

That's right. He's my fiancé.
Until this moment, I had been certain of that.
My eyes teared as I took in the figures of the two staring at each other in a blush, receiving a shock like never before.

(What is the meaning of this?)

After the shock, other emotions surged to the surface as well.
Rage. Sorrow. Resentment. And then, despair.
Withstanding the nauseating wave of emotions, I closed my eyes tight and clutched at my chest.
When I next opened my eyes, from all appearances, I had returned to complete serenity.

"I understand, Your Highness.
I duly acknowledge the aforementioned breaking of our engagement."
"Shiris?"
"I wish you both happiness from the bottom of my heart."
"W-why...? Shiris?"

The prince looked at me with blank amazement, as if he was puzzled.
Why do you make that face?
If the engagement is easily broken off, then it fits your plan, doesn't it?
Now you can truly marry the one you love.

"I do not believe we will ever meet again.
Well then, farewell."
"Shiris!"

I left without a glance back.
This event was not what weighed on my mind.

I've remembered everything.
This was the so-called world of an otome game. I was reincarnated inside of it.
Everything was scripted.

The figures of the prince and the girl cuddling close together definitely came from the game, and it was one of the scenes from an event.
The me before I was reincarnated loved strategy battle games and farm simulation games, but I liked other genres as well.
Even in the genre of otome games, this one was heavily discussed, so I decided to try it out while wondering what it would be like.

I thought it an extremely well-made game when I finished. The realistic appearance of the world and the scenarios were especially well done.
Even the characters who committed crimes were well-rounded, and reasonable motives were provided for their actions.

As Shiris vin Rhodevaite, I am what you'd call the bad guy, a wicked woman, a villainess–any of those terms would work.
The fiancée of Prince Christiansen, one of the love interests.
However, upon the Heroine's entrance, the Prince's heart strayed from Shiris, and their engagement was canceled.
Everything was scripted.