Prologue

Crow sighed, looking out at the city from his rooftop. He watched as the sun rose above the wall that encircled it. He lived in the part of town that was in bad condition- around the edges of the city closest to the walls. All the nicer buildings were closer to the middle. He looked at his old watch, and climbed down from the roof. Suddenly, the sirens went off. Something had gotten in the city. He ducked into the house, hiding under the table in the kitchen. The sirens continued to blare for about five minutes- but the scariest part was the distant screams he could hear despite the loud noise. He covered his mouth and held his breath as the sirens stopped. The danger wasn't over yet.

Some of the screams died down, but as they went quieter, a different sound picked up. The bellowing of some unknown creature, and a response... from something much closer. A shadow passed over the house, the light once coming from the window blocked out. The creature made several jarringly loud clicking noises, and slowly moved past the house as it searched for victims. Crow remained silent until the clicking became distant. After that, he breathed slowly, trying to remain calm. He picked up a picture frame, fingers shaky, and pressed it closer to his chest. The photo was of him and his aunt, Judy. She was a plump, orange circle, which was quite the contrast to the tall, lanky, dark grey figure Crow was.

An hour passed, and he stayed under the table- until a broadcast saying it was safe to come out of hiding played on the intercom. He slid out from under the table, and went outside. There was carnage. Blood spilled on the concrete but no bodies to be found. The creatures that came through the city were the Warnters. Large six-legged, eyeless monstrosities with an insatiable appetite for anything smaller than them. Crow made his way to the place he knew that his aunt was working at the time the sirens went off, to make sure she was fine. His heart pounded as he passed blood spattered across the floor, only getting worse as he continued. He avoided looking at it as much as possible- but that was hard to do with the carnage in front of him.

Eventually he made it to the little flower shop that Judy worked at, and knocked on the door. The owner, an elderly lady, was someone he didn't really know all that well. She was who answered the door, albeit cautiously.

"Ah... you must be Crow. Judy's fine... come on in." She sighed.

Crow walked over to the door to the back of the little building, peering in to find Aunt Judy sitting on a chair. He walked over, and she smiled, standing up to hug him tightly.

"Oh, thank goodness you're alright." She relaxed her grip on his shoulders a little. "I was worried... How bad was it this time?"

"Pretty bad... I'd suggest not walking home until the cleaners come by." He sighed. "Should I go check on my friends?"

"Yeah... yeah go do that. I'll stay here for a bit. Go check up on your uncle Anni as well. If it's bad enough you can stay there with him."

"...Alright. Stay safe, okay?" He forced a smile.

"I will. Now be off!" She smiled.

He nodded, and walked out the door, making his way to the mechanics shop that his friends Bonbon and Melody worked at. He peered in, seeing them lift up a large water tank that had been toppled over.

"Oof- it's a good thing this water tank was empty- losing that much water could have been a disaster!" Melody sighed as they set it upright with a clang.

Bonbon was a sturdy light blue cube, a permanent tear stain on his right eye, and an undercut. Melody was a bright orange triangle with one eye and crazy unkempt hair. They got along quite well- and were Crow's closest friends. They waved as soon as they saw him come in.

"Hey Crow! Doin alright?" Melody asked, wiping sweat from her brow.

"Yeah... just checking up on everyone." He said, relieved that they were alright. "Aunt Judy's good, and I'm gonna check up on Anni. The uh... the carnage was pretty bad near my house. I'm gonna stay at Anni's if he's alright with it."