Chapter one

Crow met up with Melody and Bonbon just as they had discussed the day before. They walked up the long, winding steps all the way to the top. There was a chilly breeze, and you could almost tell the sky was getting brighter.

The view was amazing. Crow stepped forward, leaning on the stone wall that acted as a fence to keep them from falling. As he looked out across the fields, he could almost hear a faint music in the distance. He couldn't make out any of the notes, but it sounded so beautiful and serene.

"It's Gorgeous.." He said, looking at the horizon. There were trees over there. And flying beasts he could barely make out.

"Indeed it is." Bonbon smiled.

They stared at the brightening sky, and, finally, the sun rose. With it, the music became more prominent. It was still hard to notice, but Crow could make out bits of the tune. When the sunlight washed over his face, however, the music slowed to a stop and his eyes wandered to the forest in the distance. The old tune was replaced with another, more cheery and thoughtful tune. Agrobacter was the name that came to mind. He could see this... cloud? Hanging alone on the edge of the forest. It was so much whiter than anything he'd seen before.

Melody snapped him out of his thoughts. "Well! What are your thoughts on this experience, Crow? Now that you're technically an adult?"

He looked back at her, a new sparkle in his eyes. "I feel like exploring everything. I want to see the ends of the world." He looks back over at the forest, and the odd white patch. "Every last bit. But, I think I know where I'll start."

"Woah, ambitious!" Melody laughed. "Although, if you do actually follow through, you're obligated to take me and Bonbon with you." She joked.

"Deal." He grinned, chuckling.

"I kinda wish we'd gotten to go on the other side of the wall." Bonbon commented. "From that side I hear you can faintly see the ruins of the city in the distance."

"Oh, yeah! That would have been SO cool." Melody laughed.

"I don't know," Crow said, thinking. "I'm just glad I got to climb up here and see this..." He smiled, closing his eyes and listening to the music.

Melody checked her watch. "Alright! Who wants to go and celebrate elsewhere? The sunrise is over! Let's go have some fun! It is your birthday after all, right Crow?"

He nodded, smiling wider. He had a long day of fun with his friends ahead of him.

As the days passed, he visited the top of the wall more and more frequently, staring at that white blur in the distance. He felt as if it was calling to him somehow. Sometimes Bonbon and Melody would join him, but otherwise, he was usually alone.

"So, what's with your new obsession with the forest?" Melody joked, climbing into the treehouse.

"I- what?" Crow chuckled.

"You're always looking at that spot in the forest! You know, from the wall? What's with that?"

"I, uh. I dunno. It looks really pretty? There's just something about it." Crow pondered, leaning back on the tree branch.

"Haha, okay, dumbass." She grinned.

They both giggled, poking fun at each other for a few minutes before calming down.

Anni sighed from his perch on the nearby roof. "You know, Crow... you're really starting to act like your parents."

"Really?" He asked, perplexed. "What... we're they like?"

"Well... they were adventurous. Curious. Bold. Your mother was the most impulsive of the two, and your father... he was always there for her. You, in some twist of fate, are like both of them at once. It... makes me miss them." He sighed. "You know... we don't actually know if they're dead, or if they just... left."