xvi

sixteen | antonio

We'd been playing this game all day. Stolen glances, discreet smiles, and our newest silent chant: Phoenix.

That'd be the city of our next date.

I made the proposal in a page of her rhyme book, written inside of a dog eared corner.

Her acceptance of the date was relatively swift. As I laid in my bunk thinking of ways to weave together some lyrics, she came right up and said, "Keep your nose out my rhymes."

She slid my notepad right from my grip and, with her own pen, wrote "PHOENIX!"

And just as my book was returned, I took a hold on her hand, kissing it sweetly before she slipped from my grasp.

That was it. That was all that was needed.

Phoenix wouldn't be for another couple of weeks, but with the crew being in Atlanta for the new year, there were plenty of ways to kill time before then.

I was getting settled in my suite, taking a call shortly after plopping down on the bed.

It was Deanna, who'd just landed and was settling into her own hotel room too.

"I'm at the Hyatt downtown. This place is phat."

"Yeah, this place is nice too. You should see this suite," I glanced around at the classical detailing of the architecture.

"Is that an invitation or just you observing shit?" she questioned if I was being literal.

I chuckled, "Just observing. Besides, Shaan's girl is comin' in early, and I don't want yo' big mouthed ass spoiling the surprise."

"Whatever, Tone," she laughed. "So, when can I see the crew anyway?"

"Ain't it our one-year friendiversary? You all worried 'bout the crew."

She giggled. "Look at'chu, soundin' like me."

"You were raving about it 24/7 before I left for the tour."

"Because I knew I'd miss my best friend. Speakin' of which, I ain't been replaced yet, have I?"

"You don't want the answer to that."

She dramatically gasped, triggering my laughter.

Shaan came dashing in, running around my room and bathroom. "This place is crazy, yo!"

I chortled at his excitement.

"Oh, nah, if that's Shaan's reaction, I have got to see the suite," Deanna giggled.

"Maybe after soundcheck. You still hittin' the stage with us, right?"

"Of course! I'm a woman of my word, Tony."

"Yeah, a'ight. I'll see you in a few then," I smiled slightly, indulging in conversation for only a few moments more before making my way down to the lobby.

For once, Shaan beat me to our chariot— a truck with colossal rims and blacked out windows— where he sat shotgun. I slid into the backseat, trading smiles with Cris, who took the middle seat.

The truck blasted the radio for the entire ride to the venue, and while southern drawl entranced listeners, I bumped my leg against Crystal's.

Taking my move as an accident, her leg repelled mine while she whispered an apology for being in my way.

Her eyes returned to the window, Issac's window, the sights of Atlanta taking hostage of her gaze... until I nudged her.

She gifted me with her attention, and in response, I flirtatiously puckered my lips at her. A playful eye roll broke her gaze while a smile stamped her face.