One Piece: Bones In The Ocean

DISCLAIMER: This origin story is based on the song, Bones In The Ocean by The Longest Johns and some aspects of my character is based on a character from Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean. One Piece is owned by Eiichirō Oda, Toei Company and Funimation 

A/N: this begins in parallel with Monkey D. Luffy setting off to become the new Pirate King

________________________________________________________________________________

In a dream, my crew and I had just finished celebrating our most recent plundering when something shot down our ship, and I saw my entire crew go down in a burning ship while I floated away to safety on a barrel. I get up in the morning, put on my clothes, boots, and hat, and head for the docks. I board a fishing boat and set sail for the open sea, taking a deep breath and vowing to make amends by joining them. The memory of that night clung to me like an anchor as I set sail...

As the breeze blew through the sails, I couldn't help but think of the souls of the dead, and I vowed to myself that I'd search for them even if it meant going without sleep. I knew that if I didn't, I wouldn't be able to find peace. After a few days, I can see a storm brewing on the horizon, and I'm not afraid of it; I'm not even afraid of the sea's monstrous waves; all that I'm thinking about is my friends and what they think of me, and if they even do. When their bones are forever in the ocean. 

I then charted a course for a place I once knew, a place where my hope died along with my crew, and I swallowed my grief and faced life's final test in order to find my own promise of peace and a solace of rest. 

I remember the good times I had with my crew, singing songs of the ocean.

After a few more hours, I stand in front of my ghostly shipmates, and even though their eyes speak of depths filled with struggle and strife, they fill the space in my ears with laughter like children, and the smiles on their faces said I didn't owe them my life. 

My ship capsized as the souls of my friends filled the space between my eyes. As I start to drown, I wonder what the living will think of me, even though they are so far from the sea. When my bones are in the ocean...

I then realize I don't want to die just yet, so I swim back up, and I see a boy with a straw hat in a small boat. he sees me too, and he helps me onto his boat. he says to me, "I'm Monkey D. Luffy! What's your name?"

 "Jakku, Jakku Suzume." and then suddenly a whirlpool appears nearby Luffy then says to me, breaking the silence, "Wow! It was a great day! The weather was so nice earlier!" 

"I have to agree mate, who could have predicted such a disaster so soon?"

I was referencing the whirlpool, which was just about to swallow our boat. I think to myself, 'I got out of the water only to get swallowed by a giant whirlpool...'

 Luffy says to me "maybe I was a little careless... sadly there's nobody around to help us. Too bad I can't swim, either." 

I say to him, "Luffy, in this kind of situation, I don't think being able to swim would make a real difference."

 "That's true, what was I thinking? I'd drown even if I could swim." 

"What do you mean?" I ask. suddenly a wave made the boat capsize, and we both disappeared in the whirlpool...

??? later... 

3rd person...

A pirate says to a boy What's that, Koby? Did a barrel of rum wash up on the beach? Koby? says back, "Y-Yeah, and it's not empty! I wasn't sure what to do with it."