Uneasy Negotiations

Princess Peach sat at the small round table of the private conference room and ate a strawberry tart pie with her personal guard standing close beside her holding a spear upright in his right hand. Even in some of the most tense confrontations, the Princess has been often found peacefully chewing a dessert that she had cooked herself during her few moments of spare time. To her, the process of baking and eating her own foods seemed therapeutic during formal confrontations. She enjoyed this practice so much to the point that her subjects would worry that she was eating out her stress. 

The Princess looked over her shoulder and noticed he was staring in her direction. He quickly turned away to look ahead again like a child not wanting to be caught peeking at their Christmas presents.

"Would you like a piece?" the Princess asked, cutting a small piece to give to him.

"I-It's quite alright, milady." He answered without hesitation. But, the Princess smiled and goaded further by holding out the plate closer to the guard's face. He put on a serious, determined mask of a face to fight his growing temptation until he could fight it no longer. He quickly snatched the small slice and stuffed it whole into his mouth. "I hate it that you know me so well." He admitted as he chewed loudly and satisfyingly.

The Princess laughed, "You shouldn't deny an offer that you truly want, Toad."

"But, do you not understand, milady?" Toad protested, trying not to sound annoyed. "I must put on the bravest of faces in front of the worst of our leaders!" He stiffened his posture as he heard loud stomping coming from the room outside.

"You speak such of King Bowser? I will say that he carries a rough exterior about him, and he is not the most tactful spokesman, but I would not go as far as to say that he is in any way bad."

Suddenly, the door flung open with a loud bang and in walked a short, thickset man who despite his could've given a room full of guards a slight chill. His countenance was that of a lion, as he wore a beard and cornrows that crowned his head. His mien was of a dragon's, as he was dressed in bronze scale armor over emerald robes and an emerald cape lined with three spikes at each shoulder. His boots clanged as he took loud, slow steps to the nearest seat on the other side of the princess. He stared down both the Princess and Toad, the latter of whom avoided eye contact with the visitor at all costs,  then cleared his throat and said, "Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are good reports I hear about myself?"

Toad nearly crumpled to the ground had he not kept himself from falling with his spear. He scrambled back to his feet before the new guest could notice but was already too late. "O-Oh of course, milord! Nothing but favorable reports!" He squeaked as two fiery eyes stared into his own.

"Please, it's perfectly fine to be honest around me. I get those kinds of insults every other day." He said holding his hand up for Toad to be quiet. Toad looked away from Bowser and down at his feet. Perhaps, not looking at the threat ahead would tell the threat to pack his bags and go home. This was his usual strategy for an intense confrontation.

"If I may intercede on his behalf, it was I who had spoken ill of your roughness. My apologies for speaking out of turn." The Princess interrupted and bowed her head politely. Bowser turned himself around in his seat in genuine surprise and chuckled.

"Honest! Rude, but honest to say the least!" Bowser's smile faded as he leaned his elbows on the table. "So, be honest with me now as we get to the matter at hand." He took a deep breath and glared at the Princess. "How much has this kingdom done for me that I should remain here, thankless and unwanted?" The Princess was taken aback at such a question, as if she were asked if she had ever committed murder.

"How do you mean, sir? I believe we are extremely grateful for your presence."

"Oh?" Bowser tilted his head. "Grateful. Does that mean complaining like a bunch of children when you, as a guard, have to work longer hours to patrol the gates." He tightened his fist. "A guard gives up what he wants most to protect the lives of his brothers and sisters. I will not risk losing anyone to an invasion."