Chapter 1 - The Beginning

'Ugh... and I'm back.'

Zagreus muttered as he rose out from the Pool of Styx, shaking the blood out of his hair so it wouldn't dry and go all crusty. He flexed his fingers, which were sore from where he had been wearing the Twin Fists for so long. Hypnos was, as usual, napping instead of doing his job, so he wandered over, attempting to scare him.

'Hypnos!'

The god of sleep jolted awake, and quickly shook his head.

'Well what do you know? You're back here again! How long was that attempt? Oh, I mean- of course I know how long it was! You know me, always right on top of my duties!'

Somehow I doubt that, Zagreus thought dryly as he walked towards Persephone and Cerberus. Father must not be back yet.

'Son! You're back already! Did you manage to make it to the cottage this time? How are my plants doing?'

He reached over to pet Cerberus, all three of the hound's heads leaning eagerly into the touch.

'Well... I got to the surface world, but... You know I can't stay up there for long.'

'Ah, I see. Well, I placed a seal, so the garden should be alright. And it's not like I have no plants to tend to, with the place down here.'

'Yes, with all the chthonic plants... oh! That reminds me. This is for you. I found it in Asphodel on my travels and thought you might like it. Just... don't tell Father.'

As he spoke, he pulled out a small bottle of nectar and handed it to Persephone. She accepted it with a delighted gasp, clutching it to her chest like a tiny newborn baby. Nectar was a fairly precious commodity in the Underworld, as Hades had more or less banned the distribution of it, so this made sense.

'Zagreus! You shouldn't have! But thank you.'

Leaving Persephone to enjoy her treat, the prince entered the lounge to talk to Megaera. She was standing by the bar, and scowled at him as he approached.

'Hey, Meg! Looking as cheerful as always. Happy to see me?'

'You wish. What do you want?'

'Just to say hi. Do I have to have a motive for everything?'

'I suppose not, but it's suspicious otherwise. Not to mention a waste of my time. Unless you want something, go away.'

'Right. Nice chatting with you!'

The fury scoffed, and returned to whatever she had been doing before. The chef seemed very interested in Zagreus's meager catch of two hellfishes and one scuffer, and he very gladly gave them up in exchange for 50 gemstones. After trading these in to the Wretched Broker for 5 chthonic keys, he got bored and decided to head to the administration office to inspire some shades (or so he says - his ability to actually inspire anybody is dubious).

He stopped to chat to Achilles for a while, who didn't have much to say apart from a few words about how despite his fighting prowess, he should still be careful in the Underworld outside of the House. Nodding in affirmation and stepping into the office, Zagreus flicked through his escape records for a moment before wandering over to the Eldest Sigil - a swirling portal set in the floor, one that could take you to practically anywhere in the Underworld - that his father used to get around.

'If only this thing worked for me.'

He remarked, knowing full well that it only worked for certain people, and he would never posses the sufficient authority to become one of them. Still, the portal's abilities were undeniably impressive. There was a sudden knock on the door, and opening it revealed none other than Achilles, the warrior looking very much like he had something to say.