Chapter 8 - Daddy issues

'So... how did you two even get down here? I know Father said you shadow travelled because of an ambush, but what sort of situation would you even be ambushed? Granted, I don't know much about the surface world, but there aren't just monsters running around up there, right?' 

Zagreus shuddered at the thought. Nico seemed to startle at the question, glancing up from where Will had been wrapping a gash on his leg in gauze. The last few chambers had been filled with armored enemies, and they hadn't been given a break, so they were resting in one they'd just completed before going any further. 

'We were on a mission to rescue some other campers who got stuck somewhere, and were ambushed. That's really all there is to it.'

'Campers?'

The demigods exchanged a glance, before Will spoke up.

'We don't live like normal people. It's too dangerous for us, with monsters being able to smell us and hunt us down, so most demigods live in either Camp Half-Blood, which is ours, or Camp Jupiter, which is where the Romans are. We live there in cabins with the others from our god parent - train ourselves up, learn various skills, and go on missions when required.'

'That sounds... rough. You can't leave? You just stay there forever, even the adults?'

That clearly wasn't the right question to ask, as both Will and Nico winced slightly.

'We can leave whenever we want, it's just... highly advised against. It's too dangerous. As for adults... most demigods don't live past twenty. Either they die before they even get to Camp Half-Blood, on quests, or in battles. But I think there's a place for them in Camp Jupiter... Nico?'

'There is. It's called New Rome. Their demigods have to work for the legion for a certain amount of time, and then they can go and live there and raise their own children. It has things like universities, shops, schools, the like.'

Zagreus was quiet, considering this for a few moments. He understood it in a way, being trapped in the Underworld all his life, but it was still different. At least he had his family (however messed up they were).

'Do you ever get to see your parents? Your family?'

Another sensitive question, obviously, and pained looks were exchanged once more. The god could sense that the demigods were hesitant to breach the subject, especially Nico, and he held his hands up.

'Sorry, sorry. You don't have to answer if you don't want to - I of all people should know how complicated family is.'

Nico still had the slightly pained expression on his face, but he shook his head quietly.

'No, it's okay. It's just... a sensitive topic for a lot of us. Me... my mother was killed by Zeus when me and my sister were young. Then we were trapped in this place called the Lotus Hotel and Casino for years before being brought out. So chronologically I'm like 89. Me and my sister were rescued by Percy Jackson and the Hunt, and she decided to join them. She was- she was killed on a mission. Technically, I have other demigod siblings, like this girl named Hazel Levesque. But my immediate family, apart from Hades, is gone.'

'That is a lot to take in. I don't know what to say... I spent a good chunk of my life thinking that Nyx was my mother. I remember how betrayed I felt when I found out that it was really Persephone, and how desperate I was to meet her. I mean, even if I didn't know her for the longest time, at least she's still alive. I'm... I'm sorry. It must be hard.'

'It is. Hades is never there, obviously, and even though I know he's trying he's not exactly the Underworld's Greatest Dad-'

Zagreus scoffed.

'You can say that again.'

'-right. But it's also made me who I am. And I have my people. I have Camp Half-Blood, and I have my friends, and I have Will. So I'm doing okay for myself, I think.' 

'That's good. You know, you seem like a pretty nice kid. And it's nice to meet my sibling, finally. Well. One of them. There's Melinoë, and- yeah. Either way, your friends and family are lucky to have you. I'm sure they appreciate you more than you know.'

At that, Nico gave a soft exhale of what Zagreus interpreted to be  gratitude. Will looked at his boyfriend, having finished dressing the wound on his leg.

'He's right, you know. We do. I'll always be there to support you when you need it, even if you say you don't. This life is hard on all of us, but it's a little easier with others around.'

'...yeah. You're right. Thanks.'

A comfortable silence fell over the trio yet again - the long, sudden periods of quiet had been a rather frequent occurrence in their journey so far. Then Nico stood up, wincing only slightly when he hoisted his injured leg up.

'Come on. Will and I are rested now. We should get going.'

Thank you so much for 3k! I'm sorry that this took so much longer than anticipated, but I got COVID for a week halfway through and I've been having to focus on completing missed assignments instead of writing this :( But anyway, here it is! I know the name isn't great, but it's the song I was listening to at the time and I couldn't think of anything better. I'm not the best at writing about feelings, and I'm a little rusty on my knowledge of some of the lore from Percy Jackson, so feel free to correct me if any of that is ever inaccurate or just plain wrong. I'd gladly accept the criticism! That's about it, so goodbye for now!

The art is by @argoo_naut on Twitter (I refuse to call it 'X'), so go and check them out.