Prologue

It all began on an unassuming fall day. The leaves were blowing through the streets, and Samhain celebration was only a few weeks away. I had lived as an orphan my whole life in the village of Northbrook, in the kingdom of Tøft. Peace had been between our people, my people and the people of Clan Mhurchadha for three hundred years. That would all change very soon. And once that change happened and my world was flipped upside down, my heart would be filled with rage. And after that, well, they would call me "The Daughter of Death".

"Wait up!" Cried Paul, my best friend as we waded through the market plaza "you are so slow!" I exclaimed, slightly exasperated. "It's not my fault you don't walk fast!" I said as he caught up to me. " come on, then. We should get these baskets of exotic fruit back to the orphanage, before Ms. Kjendalen gets worried. You got the lemons, right?" I said. "Yeah. You've got the pomegranates?" He asked. "Yep. Alright, let's hurry up" I said as I briskly walked in the direction of our home. A few minutes later we arrived at our current home, the Northbrook Home for Children.

"Where have you two been?" Exclaimed our caretaker, Ms. Kjendalen. "Paul here is a slow walker, and the markets are pretty crowded this time of day" I  replied. "Sorry Ms. Kjendalen" said Paul from the kitchen. "Oh okay, you know I just worry about you two" she said. "Don't worry about us too much, you know we can keep ourselves out of trouble" I said as I came out of the kitchen eating some pomegranate seeds from one of the bowls. "I'm going to go out for a bit and chat with Mr Zhang. See you for dinner!" I said as I started out the door. "Okay, be safe!" Ms Kjendalen replied as I got out the door. "See you soon!" I yelled as I started down the street.