crash course in romance

"Then bumilis nanaman 'yung tibok ng puso ko. That's when I figured I should see a doctor. This.. this can't be happening." Leni walks from left to right repeatedly, explaining what she felt with a hand gesture.

"I'm Leni Robredo, I pay my taxes. I'm a lawyer and economist. I was a vice president, so how could I develop such inexplicable feelings for another woman? Heck, she's even my friend for years already." Leni raises her voice, her right hand in her pocket.

"Your heart flutters. You also find her attractive." The doctor replied. Leni slowly sat down on the chair in front of the table, both hands on her hair and a confused look on her face. She scratches her nape, "So what's your diagnosis?"

Leni leaned forward to the table, hands gesturing different motions, "Doc. You know I'm not that kind of person. Alam mo 'yan. I'm more rational, reasonable, and moral than anyone else. I find breaking the rules and going astray detestable." The doctor nodded in response while Leni continued explaining, "Mabuti akong tao. So what's gotten into me?"

Leni's eyes are now blinking fast, lips formed into a thin line while staring into oblivion. "Have I been too lonely? Have I been too goal-oriented? Am I starved for affection?"

The doctor chuckled and then stared at Leni, "Ma'am, as always, you have it all figured out. Sino ba ang doktor sa'ting dalawa?"

Leni blinked, "So.. I'm right?"

The doctor then falls back on her chair, "I'll be honest. You rarely interact with anyone but with your staff and daughters. You're incredibly wary. You never break out of your routine, work and then sa bahay na after." She leaned forward, "Humans.. are lonely creatures. So they emotionally depend on those around them— but you don't do that. You restrict yourself to feel something. That's why you felt attracted to someone in an unexpected situation.. out of the blue." The doctor tapped her foot as if to say that the former vice president's little accident made her realize her feelings for the other woman all along.

Leni looked at her injured foot, "Out.. of the blue?" She then brings back her gaze at the doctor, "So.. anong dapat kong gawin? What do I do?"

"I'm not sure, Ma. Tell Tita Risa, I guess?"

"Trish! I mean.. Doc Tricia, how did you know it's her?" Leni replied.

Tricia just smiled genuinely at her mama turned patient, "The way you looked at her Ma, it was already a giveaway for all of us and how she panicked that time."

While the Baraquel family were having breakfast, Risa suddenly found herself laughing while sipping her cup of coffee.

"Ma? What's funny? Bakit bigla ka nalang natatawa d'yan?" Issa asked.

Still giggling, Risa puts down her coffee. "Si Leni."

"Si VP? Wala naman sya dito."

"I mean, nakakatawa lang na ang strong nyang tao pero ang clumsy pala. I was in her office the other day when she fell off her chair when she was reaching out for something."

Issa blurted out, "Ma, have you ever heard of mention syndrome?"

"Is it like premenstrual syndrome?"

"No, Ma. It's like when you catch feelings for someone, you can't help mentioning that person over and over. And.."

"And what?" Risa asked.

"That's what you're doing with VP Leni."

"Me? Anak, you're funny. Hindi 'yan totoo."

"Do you know how many times you've mentioned her today alone? Atleast 15 times." Issa argued.

The rest of her siblings agreed in unison, "Si Leni ganito.." Kiko started.

"Si VP Leni ganyan.." Sinta followed suit.

"Ah ito, favorite 'to ni Leni.." Ianna joined the teasing.

"That's because she got hurt kasi while she was with me, I'm worried lang."

"That's all? Are you sure Ma?"

"Ano ba kayo, ang hilig ninyo akong asarin kay Leni." Risa shakes her head, chuckling as she dismissed what her kids were insinuating.

Honestly, she knew to herself that there's something inside her developing. She only felt that when she panicked the moment she saw Leni fall from her seat. That sense of urgency that rushed through her veins, that she must do everything and anything just to make sure Leni was okay.

They were just friends. She was just a friend to her. It's normal for friends to look out for each other, right? Not until something in her changed.

But what changed?

Is it when she finds it cute how Leni's one little dimple formed on the right side of her mouth when she talks? Or is it how Leni was always involved in her life since they met?

She's not yet sure how or what happened. But one thing is for sure, Risa would do anything to keep Leni safe and sound.

wrote this when I was watching a kdrama (hence, the title), some of the lines were straight out from the drama