Stiff

Art by: TheBrawlerina

~--~

I found myself enraptured by the final display. El Primo versus Torren Chell. Two massively different bodies clashing with stunning colors. El Primo would push forward with overwhelming body presses while Torren dipped between the cracks to land deadly flurries of offense. It was a clash of titans to end the night.

NOT!

I don't know what I expected. Maybe the constant screaming around me had finally managed to damage my frontal cortex. Luckily I was able to keep calm and remember why I hated professional wrestling.

Primo currently had Torren in a headlock and was talking to the crowd. I was able to call out the moment Torren would break free just before it happened. My superior intelligence must have offended these simpletons because I was able to elicit some enraged groans from behind me.

My scarf kept itself occupied by deflecting the various objects hurled at me in rage. It also pulled double duty by deflecting any remnants that might have connected with my distracted coworker. They eventually halted when a popcorn kernel collided with Bull's temple. The glare he shot back silenced them for the foreseeable future.

But I wasn't paying them any mind. I had my eyes on the ring ahead. None of this made any sense. El Primo is celebrated in Starr Park. He's supposed to be so outstanding that even Bull respects him. But from what I'm seeing, he's just another cheap performer. His movements are blatantly choreographed so that Torren can dodge or prepare for impact. He's pretending to get blown back by honestly insignificant kicks. It's all just a show.

So why does Bull respect him?

Based on the catalog of pictures from Colette's scrapbook, Bull is a well-known Brawler that's reportedly able to topple stonewalls when he starts charging. His muscles are so fine-tuned for power that when he was first presented with a weapon of choice for brawling, he turned his nose up to a double-barrel shotgun saying that it was too weak. So he fitted the tool with a third barrel on the top stating, "Now that's a gun with chest hair."

He's a beast, a monster. So why does he respect El Primo? If El Primo was a Brawler it would make logical sense for them to have a silent rivalry. But the announcer talked about El Primo and Bull's rivalry as if it were a shocking revelation. Maybe I'm overthinking it but, why would everyone act so surprised that two muscular Brawlers acknowledge each other?

The sound of Torren being slammed into the mat punctuated my thoughts. However if El Primo isn't a Brawler then I would expect them to rejoice at Bull confessing to his abilities. For a normal human to be acknowledged as powerful by a Brawler. Any Brawler would have been impressive but for Bull to acknowledge him was like Max had called you quick on your feet.

Another stiff blow could be heard within the ring. El Primo had just landed another cataclysmic slam on Torren. A bit of the newcomer's black locks spilled out the front. In contrast, Primo was a stunning visage of confidence.

With his bright blue spandex gleaming from the sweat pouring down his back he clamored up the turnbuckle closest to us. Colette's squeals would have shattered the lights above if it wasn't for my scarf's soft silencing.

From up high the beams bounced off his glimmering figure. He was the hero of a fable in their eyes. Yet all I could see was a self-righteous fool. A rube that crashed down with the force of a cinderblock. Even I had to cringe when I saw the massive wad of saliva fly from Torren's mouth.

Then came the count.

"1!" roared the crowd.

"2!" came screaming from my right.