1

Crystal's fingers were starting to hurt from all of the tying. There was a large pile of white and pale blue balloons beside her, and according to her sister, it wasn't enough yet. She tried not to groan as she reached into the bag of balloons again, reminding herself that she was doing this for her niece.

"Daya, are you sure this isn't enough?" She asked, looking across the living room to see her younger sister had an even larger pile beside her. Yet she was still pumping air into more balloons as quickly as she could.

"We need more, Crys. This is going to be the best damn balloon arch these kids have ever seen. Me and Bosco are gonna make all of the other moms jealous." Daya said, placing the pump to the side and tying the balloon.

Crystal looked down at the floor, realizing they had a lot more balloons blown up than she had thought. They were scattered around the living room now and covering almost every surface. She glanced at the clock on the wall. "Isn't Bosco going to be home with Luna like, any time now?"

Daya froze, the balloon that had been in her hands slipping from her hold and blowing halfway across the room. "Fuck-" She sprung up from her seat, gathering as many balloons as she could. "Help me-"

Crystal shook her head but smiled, helping her gather the balloons into the hall closet so they could hide them from Luna. The birthday party was supposed to be a big surprise, but Crystal could tell it was getting harder and harder for Daya and her wife to keep the secret from her.

"You sure you aren't overdoing it?"  Crystal asked in amusement as her and Daya struggled to shut the door to the closet.

Her younger sister winced when she heard a couple balloons popping inside, but she still shook her head. "Nope. This is her very first real birthday party, and we're going to make it special for her. She deserves it."

Crystal had to agree. Luna had been officially adopted by Daya and Bosco less than a year ago, and now the two were determined to make her sixth birthday as amazing as possible for her. And since the young girl's current obsession was Frozen, that's what they had chosen for the theme. Crystal had never really been all that great with kids in the past, but she absolutely adored her new niece.

"Are you still able to pick up the cake and ice cream?" Daya asked her, hiding the rest of the party decorations that she had left out after showing them to her older sister. "Irene said she'd pick up the pizzas."

"Of course I'll pick up the sweets. That'll earn me more cool aunt points." Crystal said. Maybe she was in a competition with Bosco's sister to be Luna's favorite aunt. Which is why she had admittedly went a little overboard with her birthday gifts.

Before talk about about the birthday party plans could continue, the front door opened. Luna immediately beamed when she saw Crystal, letting go of her mom's hand and running to her with outstretched arms. "Auntie Crys!"

Crystal couldn't just not smile at her happy tone. She kneeled down and let the small girl jump into her arms. "Hey sweetie, how was kindergarten?"

"Fun. Miss Skye gave me a birthday girl button because tomorrow is my birthday. See?" She stood back to show Crystal the button that was pinned onto her shirt.

"Your birthday's tomorrow? I had no idea." Crystal teased, smiling as she stood back up.

Luna just giggled and held onto her leg. "Yes you do. You've been counting down with me."

Crystal had to admit defeat. "Maybe I have-" She leaned down to pick the girl up, glancing over at her sister.

"Work was okay today? There wasn't any trouble?" Daya asked, laying her head over Bosco's shoulder and draping her arms over her waist.