three. hats, snapes, and gringotts

—•—

—•—

THE THREE BOYS got dressed into their robes not long after Hermione Granger left their compartment. Ron's were quite short on him— Archer could see his sneakers peeking out of the bottom.

"We will be arriving at Hogwarts in five minutes. Please leave all luggage on the train. That will be taken up after you."

Archer shrugged as he looked at Ron, who was quite pale, and Harry, who looked like he was about to throw up. Archer had been nervous on his way there, but seeing his two friends looking so anxious only made him feel worse.

"Please not Slytherin," whispered Ron the entire rest of the way until they stopped in Hogsmeade Station.

Archer stuffed his pockets with sweets as he, Ron, and Harry all exited the compartment. A few groups in front of them, Marty was standing with Angelina Johnson, Cedric Diggory, George, and Fred. Marty was a Prefect and in his sixth year, while the people in his group were all third years. Marty saw his younger brother and waved cheerfully. Archer's nerves slowly faded.

The cold air seeping in thanks to the night hit Archer like a truck. It was freezing, and it was only the first of September. His teeth chattered as he tried to crane his neck to see where he was supposed to go.

Suddenly there was a bright light over Archer's head, and he looked up to see the largest man he'd ever encountered.

"Firs' years this way, firs' years this way! Alright there, Harry?" the giant man yelled. Harry nodded. The giant must've been Hagrid.

"Come on, now, firs' years over here! Mind yer step. Firs' years follow me!"

The path they were taken was quite slippery, so much so Archer assumed rain had poured down on it. Then they took to some steep steps down, which was surrounded by dark outlines that Archer couldn't make out. Neville was quietly crying behind him.

"Hello." a boy said suddenly, appearing at Archer's right. He was tall and dark-skinned with black hair. "I'm Dean Thomas."

"Archer Griffin." Archer smiled at the boy. Another appeared to his left.

"Seamus Finnegan." A sandy-haired, pale-skinned boy greeted. He wasn't as tall as Dean, in fact he was nowhere near it, and he was a few inches shorter than Archer.

"Hello." Archer shook the boy's hand. Then the trio stopped as they saw what was before them.

A great, black lake, illuminated by a small boat shed was mere feet from them. Archer gazed at it in awe. They were nearly at Hogwarts.

"No more 'en four to a boat!" Hagrid called out. Dean, Seamus, and Archer clambered into a boat, along with a blonde-haired girl, who smiled anxiously.

"Everyone in? Alright then, FORWARD!"