four. broomsticks and big dogs

—•—

—•—

THE NEXT WEEK started relatively quickly, for the weekends were full of doing homework and barely any real time to do anything else, other than play Wizards Chess with Ron.

Although one day, the Gryffindors saw a new piece of paper pinned on the noticeboard in the common room, and much to their dismay, it was Flying Class with the Slytherins on Thursday.

"Typical," grumbled Harry sadly, "just what I always wanted; to make a fool out of myself on a broomstick in front of Malfoy."

Archer had been smiling, considering he'd learned to fly ages ago, but it faded at Harry's sadness, considering Archer hated Malfoy nearly as much as Harry did— maybe more.

"I don't think you'll make a fool of yourself, Harry." Archer said honestly.

"And we know Malfoy's always talking about how good at Quidditch he is, but he's all bark and no bite." Ron added with an air of confidence.

Malfoy did talk about Quidditch a lot, and it drove Archer insane. Ron sometimes bragged about how he'd learned to fly, but it was nothing compared to Malfoy. Seamus also enlightened everyone with his flying stories, and it only seemed to make Harry feel worse.

"What about you, Archer?" Seamus asked, turning to the quiet boy beside him. "Your brother is good on a broom, it has to run in the family."

"I guess," Archer shrugged. "I learned to fly a while ago, but I don't know how good I am-"

"He's so modest, isn't he, Fred?" a passing George called out. Fred nodded enthusiastically.

"Archer's great!" Fred said to all the first years. Malfoy, who was nearby, frowned and turned a deep red. "Beats us nearly every time..."

"Calm down, Fred, that's a lie." Archer replied, turning red himself.

Neville had never been a broom before, as he had informed them. His grandmother wouldn't even let him within ten feet of one.

Hermione Granger, seeing as she was a Muggleborn, was also pretty terrible on a broom, and she couldn't figure out how to do anything with it. How to fly a broom was nowhere in her books.

Thursday morning, an owl dropped a package into Neville's lap. Neville opened it anxiously to reveal a small, glass ball with billowing white smoke on the inside.

"It's a Remembrall!" He explained cheerfully. "Gran knows I forget things— this tells you if there's something you've forgotten to do. Look, you hold it tight like this and if it turns red— oh..." his face fell, because the Remembrall had suddenly turned a bright shade of scarlet, "...you've forgotten something..."

He couldn't figure out what he'd forgotten, because Malfoy had snatched the Remembrall from Neville's grasp and looked at it. Archer jumped to his feet, Ron and Harry following suit.