five. trolls and curses

—•—

—•—

THE NEXT MORNING at breakfast, Archer smiled to himself as he saw Malfoy's mouth wide open at the sight of Harry, Ron, and Archer at the Gryffindor table. They looked a bit tired, but they were really cheerful, and all three were talking excitedly under their breaths. The topic of their discussion was what the dog was guarding.

Harry believed it was whatever Hagrid had taken from Gringotts, since he had said that Hogwarts was the only place in the world safer than Gringotts.
"It's either really valuable or really dangerous." Ron commented.

"Or both." Archer added. Harry nodded in agreement.

Neville did not want to discuss the trapdoor and instead tried to forget the situation had ever even happened. Neville was scared of everything, though, so that was to be expected.

Hermione refused to talk to any of them and just called them immature for what they'd done. They thought Hermione staying away from them was a pretty good price to pay.

The owls came down that morning, and Harry got a huge package. Archer got another letter from his parents, which he was gleeful about.

Dear Archer,

I hope you're not causing too much trouble at the school, although with you, I can never tell. Seems like Harry must be pretty excited. I've never seen a first year Quidditch player before. Tell him we're wishing good luck.

I unfortunately don't know anything about the Gringotts break-in, because that's not my specialty. Besides, what's it to you?

Love, Dad.

Archer groaned at the last sentence. He really hoped his father knew something, anything, about the break-in, even if it was only the time at which it had happened. He looked up as Harry handed a small note to Ron for both he and Archer to read.

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE.

It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session.

Professor McGonagall

"Wow!" Archer exclaimed. "A Nimbus Two Thousand! One of the best brooms on the market!"

"I've never even touched one." Ron said sadly, but his face still read pure excitement for Harry.

All three left the Great Hall quickly, wanting to unwrap the packaging as soon as physically possible. Unfortunately, they were stopped by Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle. Malfoy snatched the broom.

"That's a broomstick." he noted, a malicious grin on his face. "You'll really be in for it this time, Potter. First years aren't allowed a broom."

Ron seemed like he wanted to fight the urge to mock Malfoy, but he couldn't help it.