Chapter 11: A Mother's Prayer

"Are you ready, Penguin?" Seokjin approached his boyfriend who wore a black robe for his graduation day today. Taehyung pouted, making Seokjin giggle. He pulled Tae into his embrace and kissed him. "Congratulations, and welcome to the real world where you have to work to pay the bills and feed yourself—-"

"Hyung, don't spoil my big day!"

"—-But you can always count on me, a good boyfriend with a steady job and a nice income."

"Sheesh!" Taehyung laughed. "I'm a lucky penguin then?"

Seokjin grinned. "Let's go, we don't wanna be late. We still have to pick up your mom from the train station."

***

.

After the graduation ceremony was over, they went to a nice restaurant with Taehyung's mother to have lunch. A month ago, when Taehyung and Jin met her and told her that he and Seokjin were dating, his mother was crying. He then hugged Jin and said thank you several times.

"I often prayed that you two would end up together. I prayed so hard.... You're the only one I trust to take good care of my Taehyung, Jin-ah. I can't believe it finally came true. I'll go to the temple and bring some offerings to show my gratitude to God," she said.

Was that the thing that brought them together? A mother's prayer? The purest form of prayer that could defeat even the mischievous fate? She prayed so hard after all.

.

"Eat a lot, Eomeoni." Seokjin took a slice of Hanwoo beef from the grill and put it in her bowl.

"Thank you, Seokjina." She was very cheerful today. Seokjin smiled seeing her look so happy on her son's graduation day. Her years of hard work raising Taehyung as a single mother finally paid off. She must be very proud.

"So, what are you going to do now that you have graduated, Taehyunga?" She asked.

"Become Jin hyung's driver." Taehyung's silly answer made his mother frown.

"You can't just eat and sleep for free in Jin's house! Find a job quickly! Don't be such a freeloader!"

"A freeloader?? Eomma!" Taehyung screeched.

His mother rolled her eyes, while Jin was giggling. "Eomeoni, you know he has been taking good care of me since the accident. He helps me with a lot of things, including driving me to and from the office."

"See, Eomma?"

"I don't mind he's taking care of you, Jin-ah, as long as he doesn't slack off and be lazy."

"Don't worry, Eomeoni. I'll make sure of that." Seokjin reassured him.

"How is your leg now?"

"My cast will be removed next week. I will still have to use crutches and do physiotherapy for the next several months."

"Oh, Sweetheart..." Her eyes turned gloomy.

"Don't worry, Eomeoni, I'll be just fine. Taehyung really helps me a lot." He glanced at his boyfriend and smiled.

"See, Eomma?" He said for the second time.

His mother rolled her eyes again and grinned. "As long as you two get along well," she said. Satisfied.

"Do you still go to the temple to pray for us, Eomma?"

"Of course! A mother will always pray for their children in every breath we take, Taehyunga. I will always do. It's motherly love."

Does that mean fate won't cheat them again? It was a mother's love afterall.

***

.

Seokjin's fiberglass cast was finally removed from his leg by the orthopedic doctor, and Taehyung nearly fainted when he saw it being cut open by a cast saw and then gouged off with a heavy-duty cast spreader. That was quite an experience, all right! He shuddered.

"How does it feel?" Taehyung asked when they already got home, kneeling before Seokjin who sat on the sofa.

"My leg feels like a dead log, stiff and hard to move." Seokjin massaged it lightly. He wore the cast for more than three months and now felt vulnerable without it. Taehyung hugged him.

"You're doing great, Hyung! You're very patient. As your nurse, I'm so proud of you. Just a few more months to go with the physiotherapy, and you'll be as good as new." He kissed Jin on his nose and then forehead.

Seokjin never complained and endured everything patiently. The regular check-up to the hospital... Those loads of medicine he had to take, from antibiotics, antinausea, blood thinners, and pain medicine... Losing some freedom and function... And all those simple things that were now limited and hard to do due to his condition...

If this was the cost he had to pay to finally have Taehyung, then be it! Not a single complaint would come out of his mouth! Between him and The Fate, he swore he would be the last to laugh.

"Thank you so much, Tae." Seokjin cupped his face and kissed him. "I love you..." He whispered.

"I love you more, Hyung."

"Should we celebrate it tonight?"

"Hm? What kind of celebration?"

"Let's see, good food and great sex?"

"Hm, two things I love the most. I'm in, then!"

"Huh, never fail!" Seokjin giggled and hugged his boyfriend.

.

"By the way Hyung, with that metal rod planted in your leg, you'll always alert the metal detectors in the airport security screenings, huh?"

"Ah... yeah..."

"Beep beep beep beep..." Taehyung teased, Seokjin threw him a pillow.

*****