Chapter Eighteen - Finding the Amplitude

Riiiiiiiing!

Standing at the gate in front of the Ryugazaki household's threshold, I waited patiently with my backpack and plastic bag of groceries, craning my neck to see if anyone was coming. Sure enough, a few seconds later, the front door opened, and a familiar purple haired male was opening the gate for me.

"Hi Rei!" I beamed, letting myself pass through the gate and letting Rei shut the gate after me. He nodded at me, beckoning towards the open front door.

"Come in, come in." I walked in, slipping off my shoes at the genkan, and Rei passed me a pair of what I assumed to be spare slippers. I thanked him silently before awkwardly stepping into the house, looking around. Directly before me was a hallway that must have led to the living room and kitchen, while to the right, there was a steep staircase leading to the second floor. There was minimal decoration and colour from what I saw, and much to my surprise, it made sense for someone with a personality like Rei's. Maybe it ran in the family?

"I hope you don't mind, I bought snacks!" I chimed. "Is your room upstairs?"

"Mmm. Come, I'll take you to my room." Rei had his foot on the first stair before he seemed to think better of himself, then turned to look at me with a cautious look in his eye. "You don't mind, do you?"

I blinked dumbly at Rei.

"What?"

"We can study in the living room if it makes you feel more comfortable," he expanded. "Neither of my parents are home right now."

"Ohh..." I chuckled, before shaking my head. "Come on, Rei, think about it. Neither of your parents are home, so it wouldn't make a difference where we study."

"My room has a bed," retorted the Ryugazaki.

"And the living room has a couch," I shot back, making him grimace. Grinning in victory, I flipped a peace sign at Rei before sauntering up the stairs, swinging around my plastic bag.

"You make a good point," I heard him muse from behind as I walked up, emerging at the top of the staircase. "First door on your left." I made my way to the instructed door and opened it wide, revealing Rei's room. It's a pretty decent size, with space for at least three or four people to hang around. Directly across from me was his bed and its dark sheets, pushed right up against the wall under his rather large window. At the head, a bunch of shelves and a lamp were pushed up, to which there was a lower shelf, and then his desk and another window. And his bright green chair. On the wall- or rather, in- beside me was even more books and a shelf at the end nearest the desk, and coming back down to the door, there was a little two tiered table underneath a green painting and pin board.

"Where should I put these?" I asked, holding up my plastic bag of treats after Rei had walked in and shut the door. He gingerly took them from me and placed them on his desk, nodding a thanks as he did so.

"You don't mind if we study down here, do we?" he asked, indicating the small coffee table in the middle of his floor. I shrugged, and took off my backpack, placing it beside the table.

"I don't mind!" I announced, huffing and plopping down, crossing my legs as I grabbed my school bag and began rummaging through it to look for my book, calculator and pen. Rei grinned and pushed up his glasses, joining me with his on equipment on the ground.

"You ready?"

"You know it!"

For about half an hour, I completely pestered Rei with questions irrelevant to the topic at hand. It wasn't until I'd exhausted my artillery that I gave up, and Rei was finally able to teach me something. An hour later, and I was making signs of progress.

"... the amplitude is two, right?" I tapped my pen against my chin as I frowned at my book, trying to decipher my scribbles of notes as I confirmed my answer with Rei. He smiled and nodded enthusiastically, cheering a little.

"Yes! You're finally getting there!" he exclaimed almost too happily. I shot him a look before returning to the last question in the textbook exercise, frowning as I seeped into concentration again. After staring at the question for a good two minutes, I got my ass into gear and put all the things Rei had taught me into action, and sure enough, my pen began whirring furiously as I put my thoughts to paper. I could feel Rei's gaze of anticipation as he watched on eagerly, hopeful in seeing the fruits of his labour prevail in his student's work. Finally, after a few more minutes, I had my shit on lock and threw my book at Rei to check my answers.

"Is it right!?" I yelped, while Rei leapt back at my book hitting him in the face. He fumbled with it before bringing it to eye level, reading through my answers.

"[Name], you've got it!"

"AND IT ONLY TOOK AN HOUR! God, who needs school when I have you?" I joked, beaming brightly at the Ryugazaki. He chuckled and handed me back my book, shaking his head with a small smile.

"You're welcome," he said in a light tone. "I'm glad you found this tutorial of at least some benefit."

"Some? Rei, you taught me in one hour what a professional teacher couldn't in two weeks! I love you so much!" I gushed to Rei, before getting up and grabbing my plastic bag of goodies. "Look, I know you're on a diet and all, being as athletic as you are, so I went out and looked for the most beneficial things for you to snack on in my presence..."

"You really are something, you know that, [Name]?" asked Rei as I grabbed the bag from his desk and sat down beside him. I grinned goofily and opened the bag, giving him a pedo look before biffing out random things for him to consume.

"And that's why you love me," I said teasingly, making a light dusting of pink adorn Rei's lovely pale cheeks. I smirked internally, before shaking it off and changing the subject. "You know what else I could use some help with?"

"Chemistry?"

"Chemistry. Ah, Rei-chan, you know me so well," I said in a fake fangirl voice, pouting with hearts in my eyes.

"The titrations, to be exact?"

"YES." Rei and I continued to talk about our schoolwork before we inevitably trailed off onto more irrelevant topics, like why the sky was blue, what the application form to a terrorist organisation would look like, or what chances there were of me marrying a K-Pop star.

All through it, Rei tried to hide his squirminess, but even I could tell what was going on. It made me feel kind of happy, too. But then again, I might have just been misreading his signals, if there were any signals anywhere. Well, whether Rei liked me or not, I was glad that I'd found myself a new personal tutor who I didn't have to pay ¥2000 an hour for.

Pfft. And Nagisa said using my femininity on Rei wouldn't work. Heh. Believe that shit.