[2] • Catching Up and Coffee Breaks

I know I said one-shots but here's an AU. Aiden's an agent and Aru's an assassin. Not sure if I'm going to develop this story, but this seemed pretty interesting to write. This will make more sense if you read the first chapter I previously wrote. Enjoy!

"Please point your gun at me if it helps you relax."

He obeyed. The young man's hand trembled in the cold, his knuckles white from gripping the metal trigger. "Why did you kill him?" He tried to make his voice sound deep---confident, even. But all he could hear was a scared boy who didn't want to be there.

The girl in front of him shrugged. She smirked and simply said, "I didn't want him alive."

He paused and lowered his gun. "That's fair."

The girl flicked her hair and lowered her hands. She rubbed her bandaged wrist and moved closer to him. "It wasn't my fault, though, Aiden. You have to trust me."

Her voice seeped with honey, and her dark eyes sunk into his. Once again, she was the girl Aiden knew. The girl he thought of as more than a friend. She was no more an assassin, a thief, a felon. She was just Aru.

But Aiden knew he couldn't live this childlike fantasy anymore. The girl in front of him had done bad things. Promised a bright future, yes, but she'd crossed the line. Aiden lifted the gun again.

Aru's eyes widened with doubt, but she masked it quickly. "If you're going to shoot me, you might as well get along with it. I don't have all day, you know," she laughed.

"Oh, please," Aiden scowled. "It's not like you're going anywhere. I've called in backup and they'll take you in under ten minutes."

Aru bit the inside of her cheek like she always did when she was thinking. Her lip curled, and vapor puffed out her mouth in the chilly weather. "Ten minutes? That's not nearly enough time to catch up with you. It's been so long." Her voice sounded smug, almost like she didn't care about Aiden.

Aiden faltered and he almost dropped his weapon. He wanted to catch up with her. He had so many questions: Where was she all these years? What changed her? Why did she go rogue? But he stood still as a mountain, telling himself a conversation wasn't worth it.

"Say," the young woman continued, "how about a quick coffee break?" Her tone wasn't arrogant anymore. Aru sounded like she really missed him. She sounded vulnerable, even. "I have so much to tell you. It's about Brynne."

Brynne? Aiden was about to lurch forward and ask her what happened to his best friend, but he caught himself. He knew better than to trust an assassin.

But as if reading his mind, Aru said, "I know you won't trust a killer. But please." She pressed her palms together and shook. "It's urgent. I can't do this without you. Besides, it's not like you're so innocent yourself, Agent Nice-Guy." She stood straight and cocked her head. Her eyes were ice shards staring into his skull. "Six months ago. Queens. Hira's father." She smiled cunningly with cracked lips.

Shit, Aiden thought. "Are you blackmailing me?" How did she find out? The mission operated in complete secret.

Yet, the incident haunted him every day. Aiden couldn't believe it was he who did it. He pulled the trigger and let the shot fire square in the old man's chest. "I had a good reason," he argued, his tone rising. "I did Hira a favor."

"I'm sure it was a good reason," Aru cooed softly. "I believe you. But will your men in the uniforms?" She chin-pointed to the distance. The sound of faint sirens blaring was getting louder and louder. Aiden's backup was coming.

Aiden made the mistake of looking back at the street. By the time he turned around, the girl was gone. Classic Shah. He sighed and cupped his hands to his mouth and called. "Aru!"