[7] • Double Date

I haven't been on here for a while, sorry

☆Aru

Aru woke up that morning from a dreamless sleep to find Aiden and Hira already awake and discussing something intently at the dining table. The rakshasi waved her hands ballistically, while the young man simply shook his head. As soon as Aru stepped in, the odd pair went quiet.

"Hey, guys... what's up?" Aru asked, eyeing Hira and Aiden suspiciously. "What's going on?"

Aiden avoided eye contact while Hira pressed her lips into a thin, flat line and said, "Nothing."

The daughter of Indra slipped into a chair across from the young man. "Then why do you both look so tensed?" Aru looked at Hira, who shared a side glance with Aiden.

Aiden cleared his throat. "We were just... um, worried about you guys, that's all."

"And a little worried about us, too," muttered Hira.

Aru searched the rakshasi's face, but she found nothing. She shook her head. "Guys, I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me."

Aiden stared at Aru from across the table. "You think you're fine. And that's what I worry about," he whispered. He looked like he started to reach for Aru's hand, but decided against it. 

Why was he being so awkward? Aru wished he was as open to her as he was years ago when they were still kids. The air between the two of them had become so heavy, and it was difficult for Aru to make things like they were. She wanted them to be Boy and Girl again, not Hunter and Assassin.

Aru sighed. "Where's Brynne?" Aiden and Hira seemed relieved she decided to change the topic.

As if on cue, the asura stumbled out of her and Hira's room fully dressed and clean. Brynne looked almost like her old self, face glowing and all. Aru wondered if she, too, had a pleasant sleep.

"Hey, guys," she called. "What are we talking about?"

Hira gaped as Brynne sat beside her at the table and blushed. She quickly looked down. "Well, you look like you had a nice rest."

Brynne scrunched her brows and nodded slowly, smiling. "I haven't slept like that in weeks."

"No dreams," Aru said plainly. It was comforting but also alarming. What did that mean? 

Brynne's smile faded. "Yeah. Weird."

"Are you feeling alright, now?" Hira asked hopefully. "Is everything back to normal?"

Aru understood what she meant. If someone she loved went insane, but then finally seemed normal, she would hope it was all just a bad dream. Still, Aru knew a dreamless sleep was too good to be true. She felt the worst was still yet to come. "Hira, we can't be too sure if everything will be back to normal," Aru said solemnly. 

"But it's best to cherish this moment while it lasts," Aiden added. This time, he fully reached for Aru's hand across the table and gave it a little squeeze. She squeezed back.

"So, should we all go out? To the city?" Brynne offered.

"Yeah! That sounds fun," Aru agreed.

But Hira and Aiden didn't seem to share their enthusiasm. They shared alarmed and nervous looks across the table.

Aiden shifted in his seat. "I don't think that's a good idea---"

Brynne swatted his arm playfully. "You said to cherish this moment while it lasts. I feel great!"