scene two

"Well, Lucie, it seems that this year is not only the year of excitement, it's the year of surprises as well." Willow took in the landscape outside the window, while addressing her siblings – her parents, sat across from them, deep in their own conversation. "Especially now that the Blackthorns have come out of hiding, maybe we will finally be able to put faces to the names."

She felt James' eyes bore into her soul. What was his problem? Willow could not for the life of her begin to understand why the news of the Blackthorns joining London society had taken her brother off guard. Why did he care so much? Willow was determined to get to the bottom of it. She'd tried to get something out of him this morning, but he wouldn't say a single thing – he'd just stare and then eventually drift off to somewhere in his mind, looking deep in thought. Willow made a mental note to ask Matthew directly if he knew anything.

The situation made her very confused – why would her brother care if their reserved (if that's even what one might call them) neighbours decided that they wanted to be recognised by society? Both of them knew near to nothing about the Blackthorns – at least that's the impression that Willow was under – and even then it wasn't from personal interactions but rather stories which had been told to them.

Lucie let out a small laugh, as they started to slow down in front of 102 Cornwall Gardens. Willow could feel her excitement from the other side of the carriage.

Before they had entirely come to a stop Lucie had opened the door to the carriage and slid out. Their parents followed after, her father, Will, holding his hand out for her mother, Tessa.

James followed after her, holding a hand for Willow in order to help her down.

"You know I don't need your help, right?" Willow said, looking down at James' hand from the door.

"I know," James smiled, but he did not bring his hand down.

Willow waited for a second before grabbing it. "Thank you"

Together they made their way towards the house. It was a grand white Victorian house with the number painted in austere black on the rightmost pillar, nearly identical to the row of houses on the street.

━━━━━━━━━━━

When the Carstairs' carriage arrived the Herondales were all standing on the front steps of the house, waiting to greet them.

Cordelia, much like Lucie had previously done, hastily got out of the carriage. Her feet harshly hit the ground and she nearly stumbled over. James, who was standing besides their mother, was instantly in front of Cordelia, steadying her. Willow, following his lead and walking towards the two, a growing smile on face, excited to see the red headed girl again.

"Daisy?" he said. "Are you all right?"

"Just clumsy. I was hoping for a more gracious arrival."

"Nothing to worry about." He smiled at her. "The pavements of South Kensington are vicious. I've been attacked by them more than once myself." James then turned away and to the boy behind her. "I see you're here, Alastair." James's voice was curiously flat. "And you look—"

"You look well," he finished. The boys looked at each other, as deafening silence filled the atmosphere around them.

Lucie raced down the steps and threw her arms around Cordelia. "I am so very, very delighted to see you!" she said, in her breathless way. For Lucie, everything was always very, very, very something, be it beautiful or exciting or horrid. "Darling Cordelia, we shall have so much fun—"

"Lucie, Cordelia and her family have come to London so that you and Cordelia can train together," Tessa said, gently. "It will be a great deal of work and responsibility."