Prologue

First November, somewhere in the Alps...

"Come here. You're freezing." Serkan reached for Eda, but she pushed his hand away.

"Leave me alone!"

"You will freeze to death by the dawn." He didn't give up.

"Sana ne?" Eda looked at him angrily, but her chattering teeth were a sure sign that she was freezing.

"I don't want to deal with your cold dead body. You being here now, it's enough." Serkan retorted, earning a hateful gaze from Eda's eyes, which he reciprocated with the same intensity.

"I hate you, Serkan Bolat."

"Our feelings are mutual, hanimefendi."

"I wouldn't be freezing if you'd properly lit the fireplace." Eda still didn't want to surrender.

"I'm not going to look for the heating system at night during the blizzard." Serkan answered her dryly, but she knew he was hiding his anger.

"So you are not that mighty as you like to make others think."

"I'm the architect, not a miracle maker. If I'd be one, you could be sure I would teleport myself far from you. Now stop whining and come here."

Serkan opened his blanket and pulled Eda into his embrace, ignoring her small attempts to fight him. He seated them in front of the fireplace. Eda was still shivering, and Serkan felt the cold too.

"It's not working." He said.

"What a surprise." Eda retorted.

Serkan gave her an angry look and took the jacket off, quickly followed by his sweater. When he started unbuttoning his shirt, Eda's eyes widened.

"What are you doing, Serkan?"

"Take off your clothes." He ordered her.

"Ne?!"

"Take off your clothes. We need the warmth of our bodies to keep each other warm. It will not work with all these layers."

Eda looked at him, shocked when he opened and took off her jacket and cardigan, leaving her in a short cami top. His touch on her skin was as gentle as she remembered the first time he undressed her. He ignored her look when he pulled her to his naked chest under his open shirt. His intoxicating smell hit her nostrils, and Eda had to use all her willpower to remind herself that she was in the arms of the man without a heart.

Serkan laid them on the blankets, using as covers all clothes and duvets they had found earlier. Eda's body burned under his touch. She didn't know if it was from their body heat or the desire, she still felt for him, even after what he did to her. He was caressing her back, making patterns and circles just as the first night she spent his arms. And Eda wondered how it was possible that he could appear so caring when he was the cruelest man she had ever met, who played with her heart and left her when he decided that she was not his new shiny toy anymore.

Serkan was looking at Eda's sleeping face. She looked so beautiful and innocent, just as he remembered her when she slept in his arms that night, when he confessed his love for her, only to be discarded by her the next morning. How can someone so evil sleep that peacefully? Does she not have a conscience? Doesn't she feel guilty after what she did to him? He knew already that she doesn't have a heart, and now because of her, he didn't have a heart either. She ripped it off and threw it in the trash, and his stupid heart, even if discarded somewhere he didn't know, was still bleeding from all the love he had for her. How on earth he must have been that unlucky guy who fell in love with a witch. 

Before, when he was alone, at least he didn't have to suffer.