Ch 2 - An Awkward Dinner Date

Marinette wondered why she had agreed to attend this dinner date that her honorary uncle arranged.

Jagged Stone's old friend, Bruce Wayne, seems nice enough. But Bruce's son, Damian, was an entirely different story. The handsome green-eyed young man glared at her from across the table. Marinette glared back.

Bruce silently sipped from a glass of water, his eyes studying the hostility that brewed between Marinette and Damian.

"So... Brucie Junior," Jagged spoke up in an attempt to break the awkward silence that suffocated the room. "I heard you're an artist! Nettie has always been interested in the arts. Tons of her fashion designs were inspired by the paintings and architecture in Paris. Oh! Not to mention the cover that she designed for my latest album! The album looks totally rock 'n' roll! Nettie, what piece inspired you again?"

"I took inspiration from The Old Guitarist, an oil painting by Pablo Picasso." Marinette broke her glaring contest with Damian and turned her attention towards Jagged and Bruce. "The mellow blue mood of the painting reminded me of the acoustic-focused tracks on Uncle Jagged's new album."

"I am familiar with the piece," said Damian. "A piece from Picasso's Blue Period era and a pristine example of expressionism. But I've never considered the monochromatic blue palette of the painting as an option for a generic rock album."

Marinette's eyes flicked back towards Damian's direction. "Well then, it's obvious that you've never listened to Uncle Jagged's songs."

"That is true." Damian crossed his arms. "I have no interest in listening to overhyped music that will be forgotten after a decade."

Marinette gritted her teeth and glared daggers in response to Damian's rudeness.

"Damian!" Bruce snapped.

"More of a classical music fan, is he?" Jagged raised an eyebrow. "I respect it. Not everyone is gonna like my style of performance. You were always listening to the classics too, weren't you Bruice? Remember that one time that you said that my electric guitar solos sounded like metal forks in a paper shredder?"

"Did I really say that?" Bruce nervously loosened the tie around his neck.

"Tt, I trust that is an accurate description," said Damian.

Marinette suddenly stood up from her chair. The table shook as her legs bumped against the edge of the table. Glasses, plates, and silverware shook on top of the table cloth.

Jagged Stone's signature energetic expression disappeared from his face. "Nettie-"

"Thank you for inviting me to this lovely dinner." Marinette forced her lips into a fake smile. "But I think that it's time for me to leave. There's an important commission that I'm currently working on and it's due tomorrow. Goodbye."

Marinette didn't even bother to lie and say that it was nice to meet Damian.

"Is this about my stage outfit for the Valentine's Day show that's coming up?" Jagged Stone stood from his chair and followed Marinette as she walked away from the table. "I could totally give you an extension on that deadline-"

"No no, Uncle Jagged." Marinette grabbed her coat and purse from the private dining room's coat closet. "I promised that I would have the outfit ready by tomorrow, and I never break a promise."

"But you also promised to come to this dinner!" Jagged pouted.

"And I did," said Marinette. "But I never promised to stay for the entire dinner. I showed up, now I'm free to leave."

"Yes, she is free to leave." Damian waved his hand.

"Damian!" Bruce hissed at his son. "Miss Dupain-Cheng, I apologize that this dinner has turned out... less than ideal. I understand that you might not have the best opinion of my son at the moment. But is there any possibility that you would ever be interested in meeting again in the future?"