Spinjitzu

Onyx was locked in combat, furiously battling skeletons. "Two points!" She heard Jay shout. "I do not believe that we are playing a game," Zane responded. Onyx spared them a glance, and saw Cole about to lose the Scythe to a group of skeletons. "Throw it here!" Zane shouted. Cole nodded. "Going long!" He shouted, flinging the weapon across the cavern. 

"There's too many of them!" Kai yelled, skeletons swarming around him. "Let me take care of that!" Jay called, jumping down in front of him and fending off the skulkins. "Hey guys, it's just like the training course! Over the planks, dodge the sword, here comes the dummy. Cha-Ching!" He said, reacting with a different move each time. Then he spun, whirling into a blue tornado formed from lightning. Onyx nearly forgot to counter her foes' attacks in surprise. "Spinjitzu! Jay, what's the key?" Kai asked quickly, a hint of jealousy in his tone.

"I'm just going through the motions. This must be what Sensei meant when he said we already knew it!" Jay answered excitedly. Onyx watched the others perform the ancient art before attempting it herself. She copied their movements, focusing on the space between her memories of training and the reality of the skeletons around her. Then Onyx spun into a black tornado flecked with faint green streaks. "Woah," she whispered. Everything around her seemed to be moving in slow motion, making it easy to land blows that put her enemies out of commission.

As Onyx spun, she kept tabs on the other ninja. Zane spun towards Samukai. "I sense that you do not  stand a chance," he said. Samukai froze in terror. "Retreat!" He screeched, backing away from the ninja he couldn't yet defeat.

The army hastily retreated as the ninja spun towards them. Soon they had vanished into the caves. "Huh! Guess they didn't want a serving of these babies!" Onyx didn't get to watch Cole make a fool of himself. And oddly warm draft had just blown over her. Onyx turned to see what it was and froze. "Guys," she tried to say, but her mouth was bone dry. She swallowed and tried again. "Hey, guys," she whispered. The others took no notice. Onyx grabbed Kai's sleeve and yanked. He turned to look at her. "What are you-oh!" His voice turned to  squeak when he saw what was behind them. The other three turned as well and froze.

"Is that a.... That's not.... That's not what I think it is, right?" Cole breathed. "You mean a dragon?" Jay asked, looking far too excited at the prospect of having a fifteen-foot tall dragon towering over them. "Uh, that sure looks like a dragon!" Kai exclaimed. "I sense that we won't be able to spin our way out of this one," Zane said. Onyx clung tightly to Kai's sleeve, desperately trying to think of a way out.

The dragon suddenly opened its mouth and shot a stream of rocks and sand at them. Onyx released Kai's sleeve and dove out of the way. She took off running, the others dashing after her. Suddenly Kai snatched the Scythe from Zane, flung the wrapping aside, and prepared to strike the dragon with it. "No no no no no, bad idea. Sensei said not to use it!" Jay shouted, eyes nearly bugging out of his head. "Then you'd better keep your mouth shut!" Kai yelled. "But you might cause a bigger problem!" Onyx shouted. Kai completely ignored her and leapt at the dragon. "Kai, DON'T!" Cole screamed, but it was too late.

Kai slammed the scythe into the ground, causing tremors that knocked both the ninja and the dragon off their feet. On top of that, it had also triggered a cave-in. "We've got to get out of here!" Kai shouted. "We'll use Spinjitzu!" Cole ordered.

The ninja scrambled for the entrance, spinning into their unique tornadoes to give them a boost to a hole in the ceiling. Cole grabbed Onyx and yanked her through just as the dragon's jaws snapped close behind her heel.

"That was awesome!" Cole exclaimed, breathing hard. "Yes, we're unbelievable!" Kai said. "We are the best." Zane agreed. "Did you see that? I was like, pow! And you were like, bam!" Jay motor mouthed. Onyx remained silent, still annoyed that Kai hadn't listened to Wu. Or Jay. Or Cole. Or her.

And they were about to get it. "Enough!" Wu yelled, hurrying towards them. "I told you not to use the Scythe!" He roared, livid. Even his beard looked like it wanted to eat them. "It wasn't me," Onyx said. Jay pointed at Kai. "Yeah. He did it," he said. "What!?" Kai exclaimed, giving them both dirty looks.

"We tried to warn him, Sensei," Cole said, looking for a way out of the inevitable monologue. Wu turned his glare to Kai, who glared right back. "What makes you think you're more important than the team, huh? Huh?" He shouted. Onyx hid behind Cole, who patted her shoulder reassuringly. She'd never seen Wu truly angry like this, and it scared her.

Kai's face darkened. "They took my sister, remember?" He asked rhetorically. Wu shook his head and turned away. "There are still four weapons left. Perhaps next time you can do it right," he lashed. Kai looked down, finally realizing his mistake.

Meanwhile, in a dark place far away, something evil was taking place...
*.                                    *.                            *.

The smell of mold and rotting flesh hung over the Underworld, permeating the air and casting a revolting miasma over the entire realm. At the center of this realm stood a dark palace, containing within a presence of pure evil. And before this evil presence kneeled a terrified skeleton.

"Master, I have failed you. They have learned Spinjitzu and taken the scythe," Samukai whimpered. The shadow upon the throne with blood red eyes laughed, a deep, rumbling sound that echoed through the air and spoke of dark things to come. "Good. Then my brother was there," he said, to Samukai's surprise and relief. "If I can find myself an army, then we can easily ambush them and-" Garmadon cut off the General's eager attempt to please his lord.

"No. Let them think they are winning," he said. Samukai stared at him. "But I do not understand," he said, utterly confused. The shadow crossed his legs, at ease. "All is going to plan...." His laughter filled the dark once more.