THE FIGHT

The front door slammed shut and reverberated throughout the small apartment. Screams and whimpers quickly follow. Jess's shoulders ridged in defence, face stone cold, yet eyes filled with hundreds of unmissable emotions. Steve's face flushed with anger, looming over Jess with a stone like stature. Jess turns in hast to leave the room and create space between her and this angry monster whom she no longer recognises. Steve's hand propelled towards her elbow at lightning speed and traps it in a vice like grip. Jess now frozen in place; a single bead of sweat travels down her back. "Please let me go." She whispers. Steve's grip loosens but still holds her in place. "You have hurt me Steve," she pauses collecting herself with a shaky breath "not only physically but you have made me feel small and I need you to let me go." She explains, pleading for mercy.

Steve's face drained from anger to surprise and disappointment, quickly let go of her arm and staring at his hand that he had just placed on his woman. Jess pulls her arm towards her body, protecting it while gently rubbing where Steve was tightly holding just seconds ago. Steve took 2 steps back and collapsed onto the kitchen stool. "I am sorry." He whispers, knowing that it means nothing to the one person he loves. The one whom he has now hurt. "NO! You don't get to use that. You have no right. You hurt me! The one things I thought you would never do." She proclaims still turned from Steve. His eyes fall to the floor, suddenly fascinated with the zig zag stitching on his white sneakers, understanding her point, and knowing that he can not make it right. Jess finally looks at Steve and with silent tears racing down her flushed, tear-stained cheeks. With a shake of her head, she leaves to the only bedroom in the apartment. Their Bedroom. What was supposed to be their bedroom, now she is not sure. She takes her shoes off then flops onto the bed, curls into the fatal position sobbing before crying herself into an exhausted sleep.

Outside the door, Steve is deathly still on the kitchen stool. He walks from his position with determination to the sink and turns the tap to hot before placing his hands underneath it, letting the tingling feeling of the hot water on his hands wash him away. Steve's mind racing in how he can fix what many would be deemed impossible but is too stubborn to give up Jess. He walks into their room and when he thought he could not hurt anymore, he then saw Jess asleep on the bed. He slowly steps closer and sees her blotchy and tear-stained cheeks, brushing a strand of hair off her face. Steve slides behind her and wraps his muscular arms around her small and fragile figure. "I am sorry, my love." He whispers before falling asleep as well, while using his body to protect her.