Chapter 17

ARAR GAHIY

Sariel approached the lake carefully, coming from the east and moving around the north end. Jomjael, Batarel, and Tamael followed close behind. All was eerily quiet in the valley, with only a light breeze stirring the tall grass. Swinging wide around the reeds, Sariel shifted his consciousness and saw a pale and sickly creature, its limbs grotesquely long, moving in the grass.

"Shift slightly toward the Eternal," he whispered over his shoulder. "You'll see it there in the grass."

A sharp intake of breath could be heard from the other Myndarym.

"You see. It's just as I told you. That's the one that was dragged away from the lake when I threw its statue."

"Indeed," whispered Tamael.

"Do you want to go closer?" Jomjael asked.

Sariel looked back at them. "If you wish."

"Yes," Tamael said softly. "I'd like to see them up close."

Sariel nodded before making his way forward. Keeping one eye on the lake and one eye on the demon in the field, he stepped carefully through the dense grass.

"Ahh!" A scream cut through the silence of the valley.

Sariel stopped.

"I see you, Child of Light. I see you. Do you think you can hide yourself?" The demon in the field frantically jumped and bobbed its head over the grass to get a better view.

Sariel turned his gaze toward the lake, then frowned. His eyes scanned the water and the reeds, but the something was missing. "Where are your friends?" he yelled to the demon across the field.

A small cough was the only reply. Then another. And another. It was laughing.

"Wouldn't you like to know," it taunted.

Sariel pumped his wings and leaped into the air, crossing the expanse of grass while shifting his body toward the Eternal at the same time.

The demon scrambled to get away, but snapped backward as if on a leash, unable to leave the statue on the ground.

Sariel came down swiftly on the pathetic creature, pinning it to the wet earth by its neck. In his angelic form, he was more than four times its size. He leaned his head closer to the demon who was now struggling to breathe. "Where are your friends?" he repeated calmly.

The demon wheezed and Sariel let up slightly on his grip.

"No. No friends of mine! Ack," it coughed. "... abandoned me."

Sariel looked up to the other angels who were approaching cautiously. Their eyes were wide and their mouths hung open.