Chapter 6

Charientism

(n.) an artfully veiled insult

"She doesn't mean that– Suitcase is really sweet normally!" Balloon blurted, fidgeting.

Suitcase stared at her for a moment before sighing. "She's right. I don't."

Nickel relaxed slightly, letting out a breath he hadn't even realized he was holding. Balloon smiled and shot Suitcase a 'thank-you-for-not-arguing-back' look.

"Wow, I never thought I'd see all three of you sitting together without a huge argument breaking out."

Nickel almost fell off the couch.

"Baseball! Good morning!" Suitcase chirped, smiling.

"Morning. I didn't realize you guys were working miracles in-" He squinted at Balloon's watch from his spot, leaning on the back of the couch. "-10 in the morning."

"I'm not sure it's a miracle, more of Nickel being...different," Balloon interjected, resting her chin on the back of her hand.

"Different? And I'm right here!" Nickel glared at her, and Baseball laughed.

"And there's-" He began.

"Don't say 'Classic Nickel'." Nickel hissed, turning around to face him.

Baseball blinked. "H-huh? Did I miss something?"

"Oh, he's just-" Balloon began.

"I can speak for myself! I have my own fucking vocal cords!" He flung his arms out. "You don't need to fill everyone in on every single thing I do!"

"Nickel, calm down." Baseball soothed, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Balloon doesn't mean any harm."

He stiffened and whipped his head around, locking eyes with him. He opened his mouth to retort, but nothing came out.

"Nickel, calm down. It's not worth it." Baseball sighed, taking his hand and dragging him off.

"Arguing with people is always worth it." Nickel replied with a huff.

"Oh yeah? What does it achieve?"

"Satisfaction, duh!" He smirked.

"Is that really the best you could come up with?" Baseball retorted, raising an eyebrow.

"It settles the score." He offered.

"The score? Nickel, no one is keeping track."

"I'm keeping track." He protested, crossing his arms.

"You're the only one keeping track." Baseball added.

"So? I still wanna settle that score."

"If you're the only one keeping track, you can change that score however you want."

"It's not the same." Nickel advised. "Winning an argument is way more fun anyways."

"You're an idiot" Baseball retorted, forcing down a grin.

"I love you too."

He blinked, his head spinning. He felt the strange memory slip from his grasp, leaving only a garbled mess of thoughts in its wake.

He looked back up at Baseball, his head, and heart feeling light.

What the hell was that?!

"Ffffine." He grumbled, trying to gain his bearings. "If she keeps doing it though-"