Chapter 4

Carter's P.O.V.

   The wind began to pick up and howl as it slammed against the little log cabin amidst the Alaskan wilderness. Carter sat down on the couch and snuggled under a caribou pelt blanket. She picked up “The Swiss Family Robinson” and continued to read. She had always imagined what it would feel like to walk barefoot on a sandy tropical beach or take an extravagant walk through a misty jungle.

   Here in Alaska the weather was never warm enough to walk barefoot on the beaches or go swimming in the Pacific Ocean, but like her father would ever do that without his supervision. Lately, he had offered to take her hunting or fishing or even canoeing down the creek, activities that were usually reserved for Jase, Remington, and Trent, Koby, and Trapper, the closest neighbor’s sons. He knew she was depressed but he didn’t know what to do. If only mom was here she would know what to do.

   Carter put down her book after reading a few chapters. Her stomach growled letting her know how hungry she was. She knew she should wait to see if her father and brothers would be home for supper before she made anything to eat. But she also remembered what her father had said about when he would be back.

   “It could be a few days till we get home cause we have to track the caribou and beat the wolves to the feeding grounds. Depends of how fast we move and how fast the wolves move. But we might just take out a few wolves instead. Those pests have really been getting sneaky around here. A few less wouldn’t hurt. Be safe and take care of the animals, the guns loaded but only use it if you need to. Love you, bye.”

   Then they left, this year her father was taking her brothers and the neighbors sons, but also a man from in town that traded furs. His name was Joe Nichols and Carter had always found him to be creepy. He was always looking out the windows and watching the people who walked by but when her dad walked by he quickly disappeared. 

   Carter figured that the wouldn't be back tonight so she headed to the kitchen and opened the fridge. After a while of deciding what to eat she ended up choosing the salmon that her father hadd helped her make before he left. It was her mom's old recipe and used lots of her special lemon rub. The fish reminded her of her mom's heartwarming food. She missed her; she missed he a lot. But she knew she couldn't change the fact that she was gone.