Chapter 3

Pegasus was right.

Reynold did try to rope her into him falling off the horse.

Don't ask her how. Reynold was very much experienced in framing people.

But this time his excuses were not so sensible.

The Duke was trying to make heads and tails of the situation. Derrick on the other hand, did not believe him.

I understand that you do not like her but stop making stupid assumptions.

Is what he had said.

That day Penelope learnt something new about Derrick.

He only believes believable things.

"So he can think rationally." Neighed Daisy, trotting beside Penelope after kicking his rider, Mark on his behind.

She chuckled.

Just then, Emily ran up to her.

"The Duke seeks your presence." She announced without a hint of respect.

Penelope wordlessly walked to the Duke's office, leaving Daisy behind.

"Bye sis!" He neighed.

.

"You asked for me, Your Grace?" Penelope questioned.

Derrick was also present and he stood behind his father, holding a few documents.

"Yes. We know it is only a week until your birthday banquet, but an invitation has arrived from Count Kellen." The Duke answered. "Young Lady Kellen is hosting a tea party and has extended an invitation. To you."

"I'm not going." She said firmly, remembering the previous year's hunting competition. She frowned, as the unpleasant memories resurfaced.

"You don't have a choice. Considering what you did last year, she is being kind enough to even write to you." Spoke Derrick in a cold voice.

"She deserved it." She muttered.  "Fine! I'll go!" She announced. "And if a fight does start.... she started it."

The Duke massaged his temples as Penelope turned on her heel and left. "That girl is going to be the death of me."

"Please refrain from saying such things, Father."

.

.

.

"You have a daughter too?" He asked, looking at the picture frame on top of the refrigerator.

Sally smiled softly, pain evident on her face. There she was, in the picture, sitting on a bench and holding a four year old Penelope in her arms as Percy clung to the both of them. The three of them wore T-shirts that said 'Save the Fishies!' and Sally had to stop herself from crying as she remembered her children's joyful faces when they first wore it.

"She's beautiful isn't she?" She glanced at Paul before looking at her precious daughter's face. "Her name's Penelope. She was a bundle of joy. Just like her brother."

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened?"

Her smile disappeared and her face turned solemn.

"You don't have to answer that." Comforted Paul, after noticing the change on her face.

She smiled sadly and whispered. "Thank you."

The main door swung open and Percy walked in with a bag filled with groceries. "I got the chicken cheaper. Sale."