Untitled Part 12

Thanks to Taylor's eyeliner emergency, we barely made it to school on time. The argument that began in the car ended with her slamming the door of my Prius after telling me she'd be getting a ride from someone less anal than me from now on.

I didn't have time to inspect the locker room until mid-morning break. It was thankfully empty when I walked in. A few seconds later, I spied the desktop camera sitting on top of the lockers. I snapped a towel toward it, knocking it onto the ground. It had a small antenna, but no plug, no source of power. I turned it over, searching for any clues about its owner, before turning it back to me.

"Listen, asshole," I said into the lens, pouring every ounce of Queen Bitchiness into my voice, "I'm on to you, and you don't want to piss me off any more than you already have. Take those videos down, or else."

Then I tossed the camera into one of the feminine hygiene bins, doubting whoever was behind the videos would wade through the sea of tampons to retrieve it.

Mission accomplished.

I was actually feeling pretty good until I ran into Summer in the hallway. She got in my face, one perfectly manicured claw inches from my nose. "Taylor told me what you said, so I'm going to deliver this message in person. Stay away from Brett."

I was so tempted to tell her he'd been the one who'd chosen to work with me, but until I knew the reason why, I was keeping that to myself. Instead, I would have to be content to push her buttons in other ways. I swatted her hand away. "Sorry, Summer, but we're going to have to work together very closely for the next two weeks. After all, we are sharing a baby."

Her face turned red. "He's mine."

"So you think."

She froze, and a look flashed across her face as though she finally realized she was falling right into my trap. The laughter that followed sounded tight and false. "What am I worried about? What chance does someone like you have with him, especially when he has me?"

I lifted my chest, fully aware of how my T-shirt clung to my bust. "Maybe he's tired of playing with silicone parts."

Summer glanced down at my au naturel size Cs and scowled.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get to Calculus." I stepped around her, moving on before the Queen Bee had given me permission to leave.

I didn't need her permission for anything.

***

My skin tingled as Brett slid into the seat next to me. "I need your phone number," he said as the bell rang.

My stomach dropped in a free fall of panic. "Why?"

"In case I want to hook up sometime," he whispered, grinning.

The air burned in my lungs but refused to move.

His grin widened. "Just kidding. I was thinking it would be useful in arranging handoffs for the baby."

Unfortunately, Brett's conversation had caught Mr. DePaul's attention. "What's so important that you're holding up class, Mr. Pederson?"

"I was just trying to get Alexis's digits," he announced to the class, which erupted into snickers.

How many days would I be suspended for giving the star quarterback a black eye?