Untitled Part 53

Brett was leaning on the wall outside the office when I finally re-emerged, his attention focused on the screen of his tablet.

It was lunch, and students funneled through the hallways toward their favorite dining location. They huddled in groups, some of them with tablets or phones in their hands, their shocked whispers buzzing like a swarm of flies. What shocked me, though, was the fact Brett was without his usual entourage. No Summer draping all over him. No teammates laughing and high-fiving. Just him, standing alone.

I approached him. "Looking for me?"

He raised his eyes from the screen and turned it off. "Yeah, actually, I was. Can we go someplace private to talk?

I was exhausted, and I knew if I took him back to my place, I wouldn't be able to say no to my hormones if he tried to kiss me again. And if he was willing to be seen waiting outside the principal's office for me, maybe I would be willing to be seen in public with him. "We can do a lap around the football field, if you want."

"You do realize that people will see us-together-outside of class?"

"Yeah, I think I can risk it this one time."

Something faded from his eyes. He actually looked disappointed when I didn't suggest we go back to my house. But as quickly as it appeared, it was gone. "Sure."

We crossed the campus to the stadium. Groups of students hung out on the bleachers, enjoying the mid-September sunshine while they could. Brett and I drew their attention as we approached, but no one bothered us. I expected to feel awkward or paranoid from all the eyes on us, but walking with Brett felt comfortable, natural.

Right, like we belonged together.

Yeah, I'd fallen for him.

Hard.

But I was still too proud to admit it. Just call me Mr. Darcy.

We were halfway around the field before I finally asked, "So, what did you want to talk about?"

"You didn't name him," he said quietly, staring at the ground.

"No, I didn't."

"Why?"

I gave him a wry smile. "Maybe I decided to give this compassion thing a try, see if it makes me happier."

He looked up, mirroring my expression. "I'm glad you did."

"I can't go making a habit of it, though. I mean, if word gets out that I was actually, you know, nice, no one would respect me anymore."

"Heaven forbid," he teased.

"Besides, I only did it out of self-preservation. I didn't want that kid going postal on us or doing anything drastic."

"What you're trying to say is that you did the right thing to protect him."

"And believe me, it was harder than I thought it would be, especially with Principal Lee threatening me with suspension for my article."

A line formed between Brett's brows. "Was that why he wanted to see you?"

"Yeah, he wanted names."

He drew to a stop, the corners of his mouth tilting down. "And what did you tell him?"

"Don't worry, Superman, this Lois Lane didn't reveal your secret identity. I made him promise to treat Adam with care and not blow things out of proportion. As soon as I gave him the name, he seemed to understand where I was coming from."

Brett nodded once, swallowing hard in the process and making me wonder again what he'd accidentally read. He resumed walking. "So you did this purely to save yourself?"