Trust Me

I yawned as I heard the loud knock on my door. Getting up I walked slowly towards it, opening it slowly and seeing Alvar's burnt face.

"Alvar!" I exclaimed with worry. I knew he was with the Neverseen, a rebellious organization trying to change the world, and I knew it had several pyrokinetics working with it, but I never expected him to get burned.

Pulling him in I ushered him towards the couch, where he collapsed with exhaustion. I rubbed soot off his face with the sleeve of my tunic and shoved several soft pillows under his head.

"What happened?" I asked. He never came to me like this... sometimes he came with stories or news of events but not once had he ever shown up out of the blue covered in scorch marks.

"I-I failed," Alvar stuttered, tripping over his tongue as he spoke. I rubbed his forehead with my thumb, he winced slightly, and I noticed the blackened skin which indicated a burn. Conjuring (A/N - sorry I didn't make it an ability of your choice) a wet towel I placed it on his head, and then waited for the rest of the story.

"Fintan made me do something... I can't tell you what it is but I didn't complete it because the Black Swan stopped me a-and th-hen he did this to me," Alvar explained warily, looking over his shoulder a few times. 

I looked into his eyes with compassion as I whispered, "you can trust me."

Alvar merely shook his head. "I don't want to endanger you," he whispered, "the Neverseen are ruthless."

"I can be ruthless too," I whispered into his ear soothingly, "anything for you."

Alvar was the man I loved. I would die for him. Other elves would call my feelings reckless or stupid but both Alvar and I knew it was our passion for one another that drove us to make these careless decisions.

"I don't care if you want to risk your life, I don't want you killed," Alvar said sharply before settling down, letting out a few gasping breaths, and closing his eyes for another moment of rest.

I sighed, sure he trusted me but he still kept several things from me, and even more from his own family. If I was in the Neverseen... which would never happen since I wasn't the type of elf to join a rebellion, I'd share everything with someone not just bits of information whenever they needed to be shared.

Alvar's eyes fluttered open and he looked back up at me. His fever was gone but he was still filthy, and I assumed that meant he would be here a while longer as he recovered without help from an actual physician. 

"How long was I out?" He asked. I shrugged, I assumed only a couple of minutes but sometimes my thoughts drifted for longer and I had no clear indication of the exact time.

I stared into his eyes one last time, pleading with Alvar. "Can you please tell me what happened?" 

Alvar shook his head, muttering under his breath before he said, "fine." I was surprised, it wasn't like Alvar to actually tell me anything when I requested it. 

"I was sent to raid a base belonging to the Black Swan, a rival organization, and me, Ruy, Umber, and Trix arrived to find it empty. I thought that it was weird and that we should investigate, but Ruy was the one to say it... I backed him up so when we realized it was a trap and could barely escape, much less with the information we needed, Umber and Trix told Fintan everything," Alvar explained.

I wrapped my arms around my boyfriend. Sometimes my life seemed so simple compared to his, so peaceful, so easy. I knew this was what he got for being part of a rebel organization but still, the punishments were extreme and he was always coming to me with troubling news.

"I still love you," I whispered, "and I don't care if it puts me in danger, I want to make sure you're okay."

Alvar nodded slowly as I kissed his forehead gently, leaving him to rest. I loved Alvar, and that was all that mattered.