Foxfire

Y/A = Your ability

*Y/N's POV*

I stared at the glass pyramid in amazement even though it was my second year attending the prestigious academy. Surprisingly, I'd manifested as a (Y/A) during my first year and had gotten fairly good grades, but that hardly helped with my situation.

"Hey Y/N," I heard from behind me. I turned around and saw Alaric, and noticed the sneer on his face soon after. "How does the bad match's daughter feel today?"

"Great, thanks for asking," I replied sourly, still annoyed that they continued to bully me despite my not showing interest. 

Alaric took a step forward, smirking as he asked, "And do you have any plans?"

I sighed, "If you plan to shove me into a supply closet or stash me in your locker then yes, I have plans."

When Alaric didn't speak, I thought I'd gotten to him but he only grabbed my wrist and started to pull me. I glared up at him, but he didn't even notice until I strode up to him and my fist connected with his face. 

"W-what the?" Alaric sputtered. I glanced behind me, we now had the attention of several students, including some confused first-years. "You hit me!" He snarled loudly.

I shrugged tauntingly. "Like you haven't done the same to me," I told him pointedly. 

I was so focused on studying Alaric, imagining how he would reply, and planning a good comeback, that I didn't notice the crowd part as the Vacker boy walked up to us.

"What is this?" Alvar asked coolly. 

I saw Alaric flinch before he muttered, "Nothing, I'm just making sure Y/N knows her place as a bad match's daughter."

I expected Alvar to laugh and agree with his friend but instead, a look of disgust appeared on his face as he stared into Alaric's ocean-blue eyes. 

"I expected more from you," Alvar said, a bit of anger in his sharp tone, "Never judge anyone for who their family is, ever."

Alaric stumbled back, wary of Alvar's hands that had now curled into fists. "T-this is a misunderstanding!" Alaric shouted. 

"Then why did you grab the girl? Why did you threaten her?" Alvar questioned, his face concentrated.

"How did you see that?" Alaric asked, and I snickered softly, he was practically owning up to Alvar's accusations. Better to agree with the Vacker than stand against him, I thought.

I had greatly misjudged Alvar, assuming he was some stuck-up soon-to-be member of nobility. I had thought he'd sneer at me, thought he'd belittle me and put me in my place. I nearly laughed at the thought of Alaric 'putting me in my place' considering that I had manifested and he hadn't.

Soon, Alvar was done with his friend... if Alaric was still his friend and not his enemy, because, from the look on Alaric's face, he was just about ready to murder Alvar, although no one would dare to harm a Vacker, considering they were practically royalty.

"Ready to go?" Alvar asked me. I turned to stare at him in disbelief, first, he saved me from dealing with Alaric all day, making today seem like it might actually be decent, and then he ruined it again by suggesting I walk in with him. Even if he did help me he was still a Vacker, the worst of the worst. 

"Go where?" I replied, "I don't need your help." And I turned around and walked toward the glass pyramid, anxious to get to my first session.

.   .   .

The next day when I got to the Foxfire campus, I saw the familiar cobalt-blue eyes of Alvar. I turned, trying to avoid crossing his path when I spotted Alaric a distance away. Luckily, he had not seen me yet, so there I decided that maybe I should cross paths with the Vacker boy.

"Y/N," a voice shouted, and I looked up to see Alvar walking toward me.

"What?" I asked, confused as to why I was suddenly getting so much attention from someone who cared so little about anyone who was not his friend.  

Alvar shrugged, "Just wondering if you could thank me for yesterday," he said, smirking. 

I glared at him. "No," I said firmly, walking in before he could do anything to change my mind.

The next few days Alvar did the same things, asking me to thank him, attempting to walk in with me, even going so far as to ask me to sit with him at lunch! As if I'd sit at the same table as his friends, who had tormented me for what felt like my entire life, just because of my parents' marriage.

Finally, one day I arrived and immediately saw Mr. Never-Gonna-Leave-You-Alone Vacker standing there. "Umm..." I started, unsure of what to say. 

Alvar laughed. "Can I walk in with you?" He asked, and I shot him a glare like I had for the past week.

"Why do you want to walk in with me so badly?" I teased, "Do you really want a thank you that bad? If so, thank you. Now can you please leave me alone?"

Alvar laughed, "No can do, Y/N," he told me, "Plus, I have something I want to tell you?"

"What? You cheated on a test and you need me to convince your mentor that you were out partying in Atlantas and definitely had no intention of cheating, or even studying or doing your homework for that matter?" I joked.

Alvar raised an eyebrow before faking a gasp and asking, "How did you know?"

At that, I laughed, that is before he added, "No, I actually wanted to tell you something else."

"Oh," I replied, "What?"

"I... umm," for once, he didn't sound cocky or incredibly privileged, instead he sound genuine and even a tiny bit worried. 

"You robbed a jewelry store in Atlantis?" I tried.

Alvar shook his head.

"You told Dame Alina that she looked like a toad?" I asked.

Alvar seemed to be suppressing a laugh, but he still shook his head.

"You murdered half a dozen elves last night and need an alibi?" I said.

"No," Alvar said, "I like you."

I froze. "You what?"

"Yes," Alvar said, staring at me, "I like you, Y/N. I don't know why, but honestly, I don't really care. You make me laugh, you make me smile, you even helped me realize that my friends were jerks."

I didn't know what to do, so I just smiled. I guess, deep down, over the past week, I'd learned that Alvar was different. That he wasn't just some privileged son of an emissary. And maybe, I liked him too.

A/N - Sorry for the slow updates, I've just been busy and struggling to find time for Wattpad lately, although I did enjoy finishing this up and will continue this (since Alvar is obviously the best KOTLC character) and I might consider writing a Keefe x Reader book of one-shots depending on what you guys think. Please give me some feedback.