chapter 2

A couple of days later, Lauren was looking out of the window as they drove. Kat had her sunglasses on as she read a magazine this time. James hummed a little to the music he had on until they would get to Cherry's house. Lauren sang along quietly, almost asleep. 

Cherry came in, which woke Lauren up a little, but she kept a little quiet and talked with James a moment as they continued their drive after saying goodbye to Cherry's family. Lauren smiled at Cherry and started to fall back to sleep.

James started to drive them, it would be a long way, he kept lightly singing along to the music he had on, a favorite of his, Frank Sinatra. "Come fly with me~"

Cherry smiled, she loved that music too. Kat decided it needed a rest, so she reached over and turned off the radio.

"... in May~" Lauren says as she woke up with a shock.

Kat was complaining to James about how she has been to nine different schools in the last two years and how much pressure it was on her. Lauren blushed and scratched the back of her head.

"I just wanna be in one place long enough to make a friend." Kat sighed.

"You will," James promised his younger daughter. "Cherry's here... And I mean, come on, we're moving to Friendship, Maine. Maybe I'll even make one."

"Yeah, well you better, Dad," Kat smirked back to him. "People at your age usually become bankrupt before making a friend."

"I thought it was a bank hostage." Lauren jokes.

"Whatever..." Kat rolled her eyes with a smile.

"Is every road trip like this?" Cherry asked.

James smiled, he found himself thinking of Amelia again. Lauren looked like her while Kat seemed to act like her.

"Yes it is." Lauren chuckles.

Kat stared out the window after having a small argument with her father.

James then decided to stop the car, looking to her. "I'll tell you what, you go with me this last time, if I don't find what I'm looking for, it's over... No more moving, no more ghost mining."

Kat seemed to actually smile. "You promise?"

"I promise." James smiled back.

The two shared a pinkie promise and did a family handshake, then kept driving to their new residence. Lauren watched them. Her smile was sadder than a normal one.

It was only 843 miles to Los Angeles and they still had more to go. James realized he was going the wrong way and turned the car around to get back on track to going to Maine. Cherry sort of daydreamed on the way like she does on every trip but not exactly falling asleep like Lauren. The wind seemed to howl once they got into Friendship and they were going to where they needed to go. Lauren looked up at the house, her mouth dropping open. Carrigan was waiting for them.

Cherry yawned and stretched before the car officially stopped. She looked over. "Wow." 

James got out and looked around with a calm face. "It's not so bad, huh?"

"If you're Stephen King." Kat scoffed slightly.

"Then change my name and get me my typewriter." Lauren jokes. She got out of the car. Today she was wearing a loose flowy top, shorts and sandals. Her hair was pinned back by a flowery headband.

Carrigan looked at them. "Dr. Harvey?" She asks James.

James looked over to Carrigan and shook her hand. "Hello."