three.

June 4 2023

"That yellow is everything on you." Essence complimented as she admired Ivy. For tonight, she wore a yellow off the shoulder top paired with American Eagle jeans and Jessica Simpson's aqua and yellow Pirrie Pumps. Her hair fell in black silk sheets around her shoulders, curled and bouncy, it was the perfect framing for her soft glammed face.

She was sure that many men noticed based on the looks that the group had gathered tonight. Essence was clad in all black, her normal modus operandi with Giuseppe Zanotti ankle boots. Gabriella and BJ wore complimentary blue outfits, no doubt to make an easy transition to their date night following this game.

The gang consisted of their high school friend group including Ivy and JD's best friend Rashad Hollingsworth. Let Essence tell the story, that was who Ivy should've dated in high school, but Ivy never felt that way and neither did Rashad. Nonetheless, they were super special to each other. They connected almost instantly over being raised by single mothers, both desiring to explore their roots one day and find out more about their fathers but they never did.

Ivy blamed it on how successful they'd ended up being. There was no time to think about what was missing when everything had worked out and fallen in line anyway. Rashad was making a name for himself in the world of real estate and she was a well-adjusted accountant, at least that's how it appeared.

"Right, my friend looks goodt. So, we're going to pretend all of that is not for a particular player?" Gabby teased but Ivy waved her off as she tried to focus on the game happening in front of her. Rashad raised an eyebrow in curiosity, but he didn't push the issue.

JD, the only other man in tow tried not to tune into their conversation too much by doing the same. He was getting through the evening by occasionally leaving his girlfriend forehead kisses and cheering loudly each time the Warriors scored.

From the moment the teams had walked in, Ivy had felt pressure in her head that she'd only experienced once before. Almost as if fate hated her, she'd made direct eye contact with both Bryn and Jordan. However, that meeting of the eyes elicited very different responses. Bryn had looked as if she'd almost shocked him, but he spared her a glance or two here and there while Jordan's smile nearly broke his face. He was adorable.

"I'm not even trying to have any of that happen. I just hope I get through this without my face cracking." Ivy's voice betrayed her calm appearance. She truly was nervous.

"It'll be okay, they're both focused on the game. It's almost the final quarter and you've made it through." Gabby soothed as JD looked at the two.

"Have you been enjoying the game at least?" JD queried softly, genuine concern in his voice.

"I have, it's a close one for sure but my money's on the Warriors."

"That's the only place it should be Iv. Thompson, Curry, and Poole are on fire tonight."

"I wonder why." Essence teased giving a new context to JD's commentary that made Ivy groan.

"Essence really?"

Unamused, Rashad rolled his eyes at her before he wrapped his arm around Ivy and hugged her close.

"On the real, you good Vee? We could take a beat if you need it." He whispered the chance for escape into her hair, but Ivy shook her head.

"I'm fine" She assured while pushing away. She looked up just in time to see Jordan sink a three, he looked over at her and winked. Without even thinking, she smiled back at him.

His dimples would be the death of her, she was adamant about that.

Unfortunately, Bryn seemed to catch the interaction and as the game went on, she noticed growing tension between the two players. Bryn tried to sabotage Jordan's every move which ultimately led to him nearly fouling out by the fourth quarter. One more false move and he'd be out with ten minutes left to the entire game.