eight.

June 17th

Please don't prove me wrong love

You know that I'm strong, but

I can't face another one that's not

What he seemed that he was

Bzzz, bzzz, bzzz

Ivy shuffled awake at the sound of her phone's constant vibrations. Motioning to sit up, she was pulled back down by the light brown arm of Jordan Poole. He'd convinced her to come over and watch Season 4 with him and because she was impressed that he'd kept watching along with the awkwardness that now existed in her space with Essence, she obliged.

They'd occupied his cozy sectional once again and gotten lost in the show and their conversation. With every afternoon they spent together, Ivy found that she discovered more about Jordan and vice versa. He didn't have the guards that she did but gratefully he also had a patience that she couldn't dream of ever possessing.

Nevertheless, he knew he was getting to her because she'd initiated more of their interactions. She'd even pulled that infamous post out of her archive before putting her IG on private. He liked how she preferred to keep her business on the need to know and he was growing to understand her complications with every detail she let slip about her past life. Her outlook was labyrinthine to dissect but with him she was easy.

"Where are you going?" Sleep was weaving in and out of his words as he rubbed his eyes with his other hand.

"Just checking my phone birthday boy."

"No need to do that. Plus, I'm not the birthday boy until Monday."

"Yeah well, in my house, we celebrate the entire week."

"In your house you share your day with another person so I can get that."

"That's not important, it's a time to celebrate you so it should be more than one day. Stop minimizing it or I won't bring you your gift."

He raised an eyebrow at her in question.

"My gift?"

"Of course, even though my company is enough" She smirked, and he rolled his eyes at her as she continued "but I thought you'd want something you could actually enjoy."

"I'd enjoy your company, in my presence, on this couch, in my bed..." Jordan trailed off earning him an eye roll.

"Jordan Anthony Poole, be serious right now or I will get up."

She moved to make good on her words, but he braced an arm around her waist. Ivy wasn't going anywhere now.

"Chill boo, I was mad comfortable, besides you already snuck away from me last night."

With very little effort, Jordan easily pulled Ivy back into his side before disarming her with that lazy grin of his and a kiss to her forehead. He didn't have to know what she'd experienced last night. Absently, she pulled at her long sleeves covering the bruise that had formed around her wrist.

"I didn't sneak away; I took a few minutes to go to the restroom. I didn't even think you'd gotten up."

Stretching, Jordan smirked at her before he shrugged.

"You weren't there, of course I noticed but then I heard you shuffling around in the kitchen. I knew you'd come back eventually. Practice wrecked me yesterday so I was spent."

"I got that energy when you started dozing in the middle of the third episode."

"I tried to stay up, I swear."